Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Methelene / Methylene Chloride Stain (Drinking Bird Dropped on Sheet Vinyl Floor)

My son had (as in not anymore) one of those 'Drinking Bird' novelties -
which I now find out is a glass vial filled with Methelene (Methylene)
Chloride mixed with a red dye. The vial broke & we now have a one foot
red patch on our white vinyl floor.

I immediately tried various chemicals (Acetone, Goof Off,and Siege - a
degreaser) to try to clean it up - but it appears the Methelene
Chloride evaporated immediately - leaving the red dye firmly implanted
in the formerly white vinyl floor.

Any tips on how to proceed?

Thanks, Cindy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here is a methylene chloride remover.

Huh!? That doesn't remove methylene chloride, it is a paint remover *based*
on methylene chloride!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Any tips on how to proceed?

Methylene chloride dissolves (into) vinyl (PVC). The dye is now embedded.

Maybe UV light would bleach it, if it is a fragile enough dye. But likely
you're just completely outa luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You will not be able to remove the red stain IMHO.

Perhaps you can create an accent color "diamond" or add several to
disguise the repair. A contrasting insert will be a better
solution than trying to splice in even the original tile since the
floor has probably changed hue from age, cleaning, etc.
___________________________
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

wrote in message
ups.com...
My son had (as in not anymore) one of those 'Drinking Bird'
novelties -
which I now find out is a glass vial filled with Methelene
(Methylene)
Chloride mixed with a red dye. The vial broke & we now have a
one foot
red patch on our white vinyl floor.

I immediately tried various chemicals (Acetone, Goof Off,and
Siege - a
degreaser) to try to clean it up - but it appears the Methelene
Chloride evaporated immediately - leaving the red dye firmly
implanted
in the formerly white vinyl floor.

Any tips on how to proceed?

Thanks, Cindy

is it OK to lay sheet vinyl on a wooden floor?? Mikeyboy UK diy 2 February 25th 06 07:55 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Leveling vinyl floor The Data Rat Home Repair 4 July 23rd 05 07:36 AM
Vinyl tile over sheet vinyl residue? Donald Gares Home Repair 1 July 5th 05 05:50 PM