Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HardiePlank siding

Anyone have experience with stuff? Any comments on how it compares
with other siding options, painting, installation, cost, etc? Thanks!

....Unknown
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:
Anyone have experience with stuff? Any comments on how it compares
with other siding options, painting, installation, cost, etc? Thanks!

...Unknown

I have very limited experience with

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner...hardiplank.php

we were using it in lab envinronment to evavluate shear wall
performance......I thought I would like the stuff since it was a cement
/ fiber product (no termites or rot)

but.....it seemed to crack a lot when we were nailing it

maybe it was just us but the product seemed brittle, heavy & prone to
breakage

YMMV

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

We are in the process of changing out our clapboard siding with hardie
board, and so far I have 3 completed walls out of 8. I like it, it is a
bit fragile, but once you learn its limitations it works ok. You never
lift full boards lying flat, they can break, on its edge it is ok.
cutting it is a challenge, it responds well to most tools, but the
circular saw with a blade in backwards seems the best. A sawzall with
wood blades works ok, but stock up on blades, they don't last long. You
can score it with a utility knife and break it like drywall, but it has
to be scored deep or it won't break straight and that process is slow
though it produces the best looking cuts. They make power shears based
on a drill motor, I haven't tried those.

I'm using stainless steel self drilling screws, and I prefer that to
nails, as you can fix your mistakes and if you had to remove a panel to
repair infrastructure, you would have a removable panel.

It holds paint well, and looks fantastic once painted. the 1 X 4 Hardie
trim is nice too, that seems to be the first thing to go when made of
wood, those will out live me. I use those for window trim and corners.
We plan to make ceiling for the porch out of the Hardie soffit board, I
haven't attempted that yet

Posted to alt.home.repair

I put the 8 1/4" pre-painted hardie on my garage. Cutting the stuff can be
a challenge. Invest in a diamond blade, those work good. Don't nail too
close to the edges, or you'll break them off. I hung my siding with 6D
galvanized framing nails using a framing nailer. Overall, I am very happy
with the siding. It looks really nice and is durable. After getting used
to the look and feel of the hardie siding, vinyl siding just looks cheesy to
me.

"Steve" wrote in message
Anyone have experience with stuff? Any comments on how it compares
with other siding options, painting, installation, cost, etc? Thanks!

...Unknown

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:
Anyone have experience with stuff? Any comments on how it compares
with other siding options, painting, installation, cost, etc? Thanks!

I have a rule. I don't answer the same question more than 5
times per year. Since that exact question has been asked more
than five times this year, rather than wasting my time
answering it again, I will just refer you to Google.

Most of the 9,260 results discuss hardiplank, its benefits,
its drawbacks and how it compares to other materials for siding.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:

Anyone have experience with stuff? Any comments on how it compares
with other siding options, painting, installation, cost, etc? Thanks!

Wasnt it Hardi plank that they had to recall and pay a big settlement on
about 5-10 years ago?
Eric

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric wrote on 25 Nov 2006:

Wasnt it Hardi plank that they had to recall and pay a big
settlement on about 5-10 years ago?

No, it wasn't. Wouldn't you want to be sure of that before you
posted something like this???

Perhaps you were thinking about settlements made by Georgia Pacific
and Weyerhaeuser in relation to their siding products?

--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric wrote:
Steve wrote:

Anyone have experience with stuff? Any comments on how it compares
with other siding options, painting, installation, cost, etc? Thanks!

Wasnt it Hardi plank that they had to recall and pay a big settlement on
about 5-10 years ago?
Eric

No. That was masonite siding and that was about 25 years ago.
It is still ongoing.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Its best to cut hardie boared with electric metel shears like a porter
cable or something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Allison wrote:
Steve wrote:
Anyone have experience with stuff? Any comments on how it compares
with other siding options, painting, installation, cost, etc? Thanks!

I have a rule. I don't answer the same question more than 5
times per year. Since that exact question has been asked more
than five times this year, rather than wasting my time
answering it again, I will just refer you to Google.

Most of the 9,260 results discuss hardiplank, its benefits,
its drawbacks and how it compares to other materials for siding.

You don't understand. In this day and age if a person figures
out how to use a computer and ask a question, you give them
an achievement award, gold star, passing grade and much
praise. Then you kiss their rear-end and pay them more than
they're worth. That's the American way.

Seriously what's worse than stupid or lazy questions are stupid
and wrong answers. My trade is tile contracting and as I read
the anwers to tile questions, most of the answers are by non-tilers,
and are _wrong_. What's even more amazing is how the
questioners thank the wrong answerers.

About Hardibacker products:
I've used thousands of sq.ft. of hardibacker underlayment, which
is just a different shape and variation of the product. It's a great
product and professionals who want a lifetime product use it.
Because of my own experience using it for underlayment and
knowing it's compression strength, how it's waterproof, and
dimensionally stable, I used it to do the siding on my own home.
It comes primed and takes paint very well, and doesn't dent like
the former aluminum siding I had. Vinyl may be a good product,
but seems cheap to me.
The hardibacker is also pretty inexpensive, and the siding comes
in many sizes- even though the box stores may only stock one size.

A Google search will reveal many tips on installation :-)

thetiler