Posted to alt.home.repair
thetiler thetiler is offline

Default HardiePlank siding

Robert Allison wrote:
Steve wrote:
Anyone have experience with stuff? Any comments on how it compares
with other siding options, painting, installation, cost, etc? Thanks!

I have a rule. I don't answer the same question more than 5
times per year. Since that exact question has been asked more
than five times this year, rather than wasting my time
answering it again, I will just refer you to Google.

Most of the 9,260 results discuss hardiplank, its benefits,
its drawbacks and how it compares to other materials for siding.

You don't understand. In this day and age if a person figures
out how to use a computer and ask a question, you give them
an achievement award, gold star, passing grade and much
praise. Then you kiss their rear-end and pay them more than
they're worth. That's the American way.

Seriously what's worse than stupid or lazy questions are stupid
and wrong answers. My trade is tile contracting and as I read
the anwers to tile questions, most of the answers are by non-tilers,
and are _wrong_. What's even more amazing is how the
questioners thank the wrong answerers.

About Hardibacker products:
I've used thousands of sq.ft. of hardibacker underlayment, which
is just a different shape and variation of the product. It's a great
product and professionals who want a lifetime product use it.
Because of my own experience using it for underlayment and
knowing it's compression strength, how it's waterproof, and
dimensionally stable, I used it to do the siding on my own home.
It comes primed and takes paint very well, and doesn't dent like
the former aluminum siding I had. Vinyl may be a good product,
but seems cheap to me.
The hardibacker is also pretty inexpensive, and the siding comes
in many sizes- even though the box stores may only stock one size.

A Google search will reveal many tips on installation :-)

thetiler