Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What type of "System" do I have in my House?

When I'm asked to explain what type of "System" I have in my house, I'm
at a loss for words as to how to explain it properly. They ask: Gas
or Electric? Heat Pump? Forced Air? Oil Heater? Apollo? All these
terms are very confusing to me. I was wondering if someone more
knowlegeable in these areas could help me out.

I've checked the water heater, and I have a ruudglas pacemaker dv
p400v. I was told when I bought the house that I have an "Apollo"
System for heating and air conditioning. My air conditioning unit
outside the house says it is a Janitrol.

When someone asks me what type of water heater do you have, gas or
electric or heat pump or forced air or apollo system, etc. How
should I answer them?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

When I'm asked to explain what type of "System" I have in my house, I'm
at a loss for words as to how to explain it properly. They ask: Gas
or Electric? Heat Pump? Forced Air? Oil Heater? Apollo? All these
terms are very confusing to me. I was wondering if someone more
knowlegeable in these areas could help me out.

I've checked the water heater, and I have a ruudglas pacemaker dv
p400v. I was told when I bought the house that I have an "Apollo"
System for heating and air conditioning. My air conditioning unit
outside the house says it is a Janitrol.

When someone asks me what type of water heater do you have, gas or
electric or heat pump or forced air or apollo system, etc. How
should I answer them?

Thanks

We can narrow down some functions.

I don't see that model listed on the Ruud cross reference sheet at all. The
number follows the conventions of their gas water heater models and is
probably a 40 gallon.

Furnaces heat air, boilers heat water. Since you have a central AC, I'm
going to guess that you have a hot air furnace. Since the water heater
seems to be gas, you probably have a gas furnace. You can easily verify
this by first, knowing you do have gas, second, by following the piping
from the meter to the heaters.

If you have an outside AC condenser, you probably have a furnace inside.
Does the furnace have burner in it? If so, it is either gas or oil. In no,
it is electric.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

When I'm asked to explain what type of "System" I have in my house, I'm
at a loss for words as to how to explain it properly. They ask: Gas
or Electric? Heat Pump? Forced Air? Oil Heater? Apollo? All these
terms are very confusing to me. I was wondering if someone more
knowlegeable in these areas could help me out.

I've checked the water heater, and I have a ruudglas pacemaker dv
p400v. I was told when I bought the house that I have an "Apollo"
System for heating and air conditioning. My air conditioning unit
outside the house says it is a Janitrol.

When someone asks me what type of water heater do you have, gas or
electric or heat pump or forced air or apollo system, etc. How
should I answer them?

Thanks

I'm surprised you didn't find out this information when you were thinking
about buying the house. How long have you lived there?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
When I'm asked to explain what type of "System" I have in my house, I'm
at a loss for words as to how to explain it properly. They ask: Gas
or Electric? Heat Pump? Forced Air? Oil Heater? Apollo? All these
terms are very confusing to me. I was wondering if someone more
knowlegeable in these areas could help me out.

I've checked the water heater, and I have a ruudglas pacemaker dv
p400v. I was told when I bought the house that I have an "Apollo"
System for heating and air conditioning. My air conditioning unit
outside the house says it is a Janitrol.

When someone asks me what type of water heater do you have, gas or
electric or heat pump or forced air or apollo system, etc. How
should I answer them?

Thanks

In some lines of endeavor, a "fishing expedition" query like yours
would
get a response like "did you RTFM?" Meaning: did you do _any_
homework on this, or are you expecting it all on a plate, for free?

No offense intended, but it's your house, and to your benefit to be
able
to manage its affairs. As a result of having some understanding of
what's going on. Any helpful neighbors? Home-Economics classes
at local high school? DIY references at library? They won't come
to you.

Various trades people, on sensing such naivete, might mistake
you for "Ben Dover", which you likely don't want.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Chris Friesen
wrote:

"forced air" just means that it has a fan to blow the hot air around.

My Dad built the house we were raised in. He put in a forced air
heating system, "The best money can buy," as he described it.

For years, whenever he referred to the forced air system, I thought he
was saying "four star."

It's been my goal ever since to have a house with a five star heating
system, but the bugger's been god-awful hard to find.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank Warner wrote in
:

In article , Chris Friesen
wrote:

"forced air" just means that it has a fan to blow the hot air around.

My Dad built the house we were raised in. He put in a forced air
heating system, "The best money can buy," as he described it.

For years, whenever he referred to the forced air system, I thought he
was saying "four star."

It's been my goal ever since to have a house with a five star heating
system, but the bugger's been god-awful hard to find.

-Frank

....or you kept wondering what's the deal with this 4th stair :-)