Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] barry@sme-online.com is offline

Default What type of "System" do I have in my House?

wrote:
When I'm asked to explain what type of "System" I have in my house, I'm
at a loss for words as to how to explain it properly. They ask: Gas
or Electric? Heat Pump? Forced Air? Oil Heater? Apollo? All these
terms are very confusing to me. I was wondering if someone more
knowlegeable in these areas could help me out.

I've checked the water heater, and I have a ruudglas pacemaker dv
p400v. I was told when I bought the house that I have an "Apollo"
System for heating and air conditioning. My air conditioning unit
outside the house says it is a Janitrol.

When someone asks me what type of water heater do you have, gas or
electric or heat pump or forced air or apollo system, etc. How
should I answer them?

Thanks

In some lines of endeavor, a "fishing expedition" query like yours
would
get a response like "did you RTFM?" Meaning: did you do _any_
homework on this, or are you expecting it all on a plate, for free?

No offense intended, but it's your house, and to your benefit to be
able
to manage its affairs. As a result of having some understanding of
what's going on. Any helpful neighbors? Home-Economics classes
at local high school? DIY references at library? They won't come
to you.

Various trades people, on sensing such naivete, might mistake
you for "Ben Dover", which you likely don't want.