Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What type of "System" do I have in my House?

wrote in message
ups.com...

When I'm asked to explain what type of "System" I have in my house, I'm
at a loss for words as to how to explain it properly. They ask: Gas
or Electric? Heat Pump? Forced Air? Oil Heater? Apollo? All these
terms are very confusing to me. I was wondering if someone more
knowlegeable in these areas could help me out.

I've checked the water heater, and I have a ruudglas pacemaker dv
p400v. I was told when I bought the house that I have an "Apollo"
System for heating and air conditioning. My air conditioning unit
outside the house says it is a Janitrol.

When someone asks me what type of water heater do you have, gas or
electric or heat pump or forced air or apollo system, etc. How
should I answer them?

Thanks

We can narrow down some functions.

I don't see that model listed on the Ruud cross reference sheet at all. The
number follows the conventions of their gas water heater models and is
probably a 40 gallon.

Furnaces heat air, boilers heat water. Since you have a central AC, I'm
going to guess that you have a hot air furnace. Since the water heater
seems to be gas, you probably have a gas furnace. You can easily verify
this by first, knowing you do have gas, second, by following the piping
from the meter to the heaters.

If you have an outside AC condenser, you probably have a furnace inside.
Does the furnace have burner in it? If so, it is either gas or oil. In no,
it is electric.