Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default What type of "System" do I have in my House?

wrote:
When I'm asked to explain what type of "System" I have in my house, I'm
at a loss for words as to how to explain it properly. They ask: Gas
or Electric? Heat Pump? Forced Air? Oil Heater? Apollo? All these
terms are very confusing to me. I was wondering if someone more
knowlegeable in these areas could help me out.

For house heating you have a number of options...you can have direct
electric heat (which works like an electric oven or hair dryer), an
electric heat pump, a heater that burns oil, or a heater that burns
natural gas (generally known as just "gas"). In Canada, gas furnaces
are probably the most common, as natural gas is cheaper than electricity.

"forced air" just means that it has a fan to blow the hot air around.

I've checked the water heater, and I have a ruudglas pacemaker dv
p400v.

The "ruudglas pacemaker dv" appears to be a gas water heater made by
Ruud/Rheem. Couldn't find the "p400v" on their website though.

Chris