Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bulb coloring

for at least 15 to 20 years, or so, I have been buying R30 75 watt reflector
floods at the electrical supply house that had "painted" ones. they are
painted a pink color that looks great in the den, which has used brick walls
and other items that look nicer with colored lighting. I want to replace
these with compact fluorescent reflector floods that are colored the same. I
have been unable to find them so far using Google, nor finding a paint or
lacquer to color plain bulbs.

The incandescent 75 watt bulbs I have been buying appear to have been
painted after the manufacture of them, and with a paint that peels from the
heat somewhat after a while.

The compact fluorescent bulbs only get warm, so whatever I paint them with
does not have to be very heat resistant.

Anybody know what kind of paint or lacquer I can use that will allow enough
light through it to be practical in coloring these bulbs?

Thanks,

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DIMwit" wrote in message
[...]

Contact the painter of the originals?

Or try a gel (colored plastic film) to cover the fixture?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

DIMwit wrote:
[...]

The problem is is that most paint is opaque so it doesn't matter what
color you paint them.

Go to a craft store and find the "paint" they use for making "stained
glass". I think they also make a film that goes on the glass.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Pat wrote:
DIMwit wrote:
[...]

Or use a "candy apple" paint (maybe the same stuff) or just put a
lighting gel (from a theater supply house) in between the bulb and the
diffuser.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

DIMwit wrote:
[...]

As noted the stain glass stuff may work. I don't know how well it will
handle heat.

If you try to filter a compact florescent or any florescent, you may
find that you are filtering out a lot more light than expected since they
tend to be short on the red end of the spectrum anyway.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

"DIMwit" wrote in message
[...]

The gel (theatrical color filters) is the best way to do it and will
give you the most color options to find the correct one. Try
http://www.rosco.com/us/promotions/roscolux.asp and find a dealer in
your area. Get the big sample booklet and use to test with the actual
lamps you intend to use to find the correct color and then buy a sheet
or two.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" writes:

DIMwit wrote:
[...]

I've used the stained glass paint on the bulbs in my pinball machines.
That works OK.

What works best though is a Sharpie.
Just use the pen to color the glass of the bulb.
You can even use more than one color.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DIMwit wrote:
[...]

Fingernail polish and model paint are both acrylic lacquer. Thin
with clear acrylic lacquer to produce a transparent glaze.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all; some very good info was given to me. I will try the craft
store to see what they have, and will see if the light from the fluorescent
bulb is any good after passing through the "filter"

Bob

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
oups.com...

DIMwit wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" writes:

I've used the stained glass paint on the bulbs in my pinball machines.
That works OK.

What works best though is a Sharpie.
Just use the pen to color the glass of the bulb.
You can even use more than one color.

Cool idea.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" writes:

Dan Espen wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" writes:

I've used the stained glass paint on the bulbs in my pinball machines.
That works OK.

What works best though is a Sharpie.
Just use the pen to color the glass of the bulb.
You can even use more than one color.

Cool idea.

Those Sharpies are pretty cool.
They do a great job writing on CDs too.
Lots of other inks just form drops,
The Sharpie ink dries smoothly and quickly even on glass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Dan Espen wrote:

Those Sharpies are pretty cool.
They do a great job writing on CDs too.
Lots of other inks just form drops,
The Sharpie ink dries smoothly and quickly even on glass.

There is a concern that the solvent in Sharpie ink will penetrate to and
ruin the data in a recordable CD because the data layer is so close to
that surface.

However, I have goten away with that so far, even with one recordable CD
where I saw from the data-read side the effect of the ink solvent actually
penetrating into the data layer and visible altering its reflection
characteristics.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 14:01:27 -0500, "DIMwit"
wrote:

[...]

Use the colored gel-filters, like theaters use:

http://www.theatrefx.com/store/comme...=color_filters

Make sure you leave air gaps, or even the florescents will cook
your fixture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DIMwit wrote:
[...]

I just read your post. Interestingly, I was just at Menard's today and
saw tinted compact flourescent bulbs. They were the 13 watt (60 watt
incandescent equivalent). They had red, blue, orange, green and
yellow, if I recall correctly. I imagine the red, maybe with a few
untinted, might give a similar effect to what you seek.

I'm not sure where you are, so you may not have a Menard's nearby. If
you don't, I imagine you could contact them via their website. I think
the tinted bulbs were manufactured by Feit.

I found the page on Feit's site where they have tinted flourescent:
Compact Fluorescent

Hope that helps!

Ed

OT - light bulb JohnM Metalworking 0 August 24th 05 07:33 PM
Evaporative cooler question SteveB Home Repair 105 February 1st 05 01:06 PM
Change a light bulb Usenet Style Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 11:03 AM
Changing a light bulb on R.C.M Tom Gardner Metalworking 24 June 6th 04 12:58 AM
Light bulb malfunction Oldylocks Home Repair 12 February 5th 04 01:51 PM