Posted to alt.home.repair
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Bulb coloring

DIMwit wrote:
for at least 15 to 20 years, or so, I have been buying R30 75 watt reflector
floods at the electrical supply house that had "painted" ones. they are
painted a pink color that looks great in the den, which has used brick walls
and other items that look nicer with colored lighting. I want to replace
these with compact fluorescent reflector floods that are colored the same. I
have been unable to find them so far using Google, nor finding a paint or
lacquer to color plain bulbs.

The incandescent 75 watt bulbs I have been buying appear to have been
painted after the manufacture of them, and with a paint that peels from the
heat somewhat after a while.

The compact fluorescent bulbs only get warm, so whatever I paint them with
does not have to be very heat resistant.

Anybody know what kind of paint or lacquer I can use that will allow enough
light through it to be practical in coloring these bulbs?

Fingernail polish and model paint are both acrylic lacquer. Thin
with clear acrylic lacquer to produce a transparent glaze.