Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] celticsoc@aol.com is offline

Default Bulb coloring

DIMwit wrote:
for at least 15 to 20 years, or so, I have been buying R30 75 watt reflector
floods at the electrical supply house that had "painted" ones. they are
painted a pink color that looks great in the den, which has used brick walls
and other items that look nicer with colored lighting. I want to replace
these with compact fluorescent reflector floods that are colored the same. I
have been unable to find them so far using Google, nor finding a paint or
lacquer to color plain bulbs.

The incandescent 75 watt bulbs I have been buying appear to have been
painted after the manufacture of them, and with a paint that peels from the
heat somewhat after a while.

The compact fluorescent bulbs only get warm, so whatever I paint them with
does not have to be very heat resistant.

Anybody know what kind of paint or lacquer I can use that will allow enough
light through it to be practical in coloring these bulbs?

Thanks,

Bob

I just read your post. Interestingly, I was just at Menard's today and
saw tinted compact flourescent bulbs. They were the 13 watt (60 watt
incandescent equivalent). They had red, blue, orange, green and
yellow, if I recall correctly. I imagine the red, maybe with a few
untinted, might give a similar effect to what you seek.

I'm not sure where you are, so you may not have a Menard's nearby. If
you don't, I imagine you could contact them via their website. I think
the tinted bulbs were manufactured by Feit.

I found the page on Feit's site where they have tinted flourescent:
Compact Fluorescent

Hope that helps!

Ed