Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Bulb coloring

DIMwit wrote:
for at least 15 to 20 years, or so, I have been buying R30 75 watt
reflector floods at the electrical supply house that had "painted"
ones. they are painted a pink color that looks great in the den,
which has used brick walls and other items that look nicer with
colored lighting. I want to replace these with compact fluorescent
reflector floods that are colored the same. I have been unable to
find them so far using Google, nor finding a paint or lacquer to
color plain bulbs.
The incandescent 75 watt bulbs I have been buying appear to have been
painted after the manufacture of them, and with a paint that peels
from the heat somewhat after a while.

The compact fluorescent bulbs only get warm, so whatever I paint them
with does not have to be very heat resistant.

Anybody know what kind of paint or lacquer I can use that will allow
enough light through it to be practical in coloring these bulbs?

Thanks,

Bob

As noted the stain glass stuff may work. I don't know how well it will
handle heat.

If you try to filter a compact florescent or any florescent, you may
find that you are filtering out a lot more light than expected since they
tend to be short on the red end of the spectrum anyway.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit