Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing electrical box, what size to use?

Adding a wallmounted TV in my basement, I wanted to run power from an
existing outlet 3' below where the TV will be. I have the holes cut
and the Romex run, but the original receptacle is fed by AC cable into
a metal box (obviously). 4 conductors total, with a receptacle and one
clamp. If I feed power to the new TV outlet, that will be another 2
conductors and another clamp.

So basically what size box is now recommended (required?), for 6
conductors, 2 clamps, and a receptacle? I found something on Racos
site that pointed at 22.5 cu in required, but I wasnt absolutely sure
about their chart

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Without a code book in hand I can't be accurate, but since you're going to
open the wall to replace the existing box, just get a deep bang on 1900 box,
and you're covered

wrote in message
oups.com...
Adding a wallmounted TV in my basement, I wanted to run power from an
existing outlet 3' below where the TV will be. I have the holes cut
and the Romex run, but the original receptacle is fed by AC cable into
a metal box (obviously). 4 conductors total, with a receptacle and one
clamp. If I feed power to the new TV outlet, that will be another 2
conductors and another clamp.

So basically what size box is now recommended (required?), for 6
conductors, 2 clamps, and a receptacle? I found something on Racos
site that pointed at 22.5 cu in required, but I wasnt absolutely sure
about their chart

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

By deep bang on 1900 box he means a 2-1/8" deep x 4" square steel box
with nail-on bracket. Add a plaster ring sized for the drywall or other
wall finish you have, and you will have plenty of capacity.

Glenn
http://www.goalelectrical.com
A forum that speaks YOUR language.

RBM (remove this) wrote:
Without a code book in hand I can't be accurate, but since you're going to
open the wall to replace the existing box, just get a deep bang on 1900 box,
and you're covered

wrote in message
oups.com...
Adding a wallmounted TV in my basement, I wanted to run power from an
existing outlet 3' below where the TV will be. I have the holes cut
and the Romex run, but the original receptacle is fed by AC cable into
a metal box (obviously). 4 conductors total, with a receptacle and one
clamp. If I feed power to the new TV outlet, that will be another 2
conductors and another clamp.

So basically what size box is now recommended (required?), for 6
conductors, 2 clamps, and a receptacle? I found something on Racos
site that pointed at 22.5 cu in required, but I wasnt absolutely sure
about their chart

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Adding a wallmounted TV in my basement, I wanted to run power from an
existing outlet 3' below where the TV will be. I have the holes cut
and the Romex run, but the original receptacle is fed by AC cable into
a metal box (obviously). 4 conductors total, with a receptacle and one
clamp. If I feed power to the new TV outlet, that will be another 2
conductors and another clamp.

So basically what size box is now recommended (required?), for 6
conductors, 2 clamps, and a receptacle? I found something on Racos
site that pointed at 22.5 cu in required, but I wasnt absolutely sure
about their chart

c:

It's a requirement, yes. The NEC has a nice chart of standard steel
box volumes and the rules used. Without knowing what wire size you
are dealing with, I'll just try both.

The Raco box info is quite correct and very handy. It comes as a
shock, though, when you first understand the box fill rules, and
realize
that most steel boxes stocked by home improvement stores are
nearly useless for all but very basic situations. Note that Raco does
not show all their boxes on the chart; just the ones they consider most

useful or popular. You can, however,
look up other boxes in their catalog (like the common 2 1/4" deep
old-work device box that home centers looove to sell)

**/2 Romex in - 2 conductor allowances
**/2 Romex out - 2 " "
All grounds - 1 " " (all grounds, however many, always count as 1)
All clamps - 1 " " (Clamps count as one)
One device - 2 " " (Count two for every yoke-mounted device)

Pigtails or other conductors which start in the box and don't leave it
need not be counted.

Total allowances: 8
(Note...if this is old Romex with no ground then you may reduce the
total to 7, but you must then use a nonmetallic box)

Conductor volume allowance for 14 AWG = 2.00; for 12 AWG = 2.25

Total volume required:

14/2 in & out: 8*2 = 16 cu in
12/2 in & out: 8*2.25 = 20 cu in

Your new end-of-run outlet for the TV just has two conductors,
a device, grounds, and probably a clamp, for a total of 6 cu in.
You will need 12 cu in for 14/2 w/ground; 13.5 for 12/2 w/gnd.

A 4" square, 1 1/2" deep box will do. Screw it to the basement
wall and add a mud ring...if the wall is too shallow for this, you
may be stuck with surface wiring, or using a domed cover and
letting the box project from the wall, but this last solution has
that ad hoc industrial look that the little woman often fails
to appreciate. The minimum depth you will need for
a recessed outlet is a bit over 1 1/2", if you use a flat mud ring,
and put a washer or two behind the box on each screw to give
some space between it and the wall for the ground screw.

As usual, remember to pull a permit and submit the work for
inspection by the AHJ. I am not an electrician, and I can't
really see what you situation is from here.

Cordially yours:
G P

Posted to alt.home.repair

I already ripped out the old box The situation at hand pretty much
dictates I need a larger box (I forgot to mention there is already 4
conductors in the box.......1 AC in, 1 AC out to the rest of the
basement). I need to pigtail to the new Romex off one set of AC, so a
standard outlet box will be way too small. If Racos sizing is correct,
I need a 4" box or a 4 1/16" box. I actually was surprised, but not so
surprised at the same time. I realize the need for the extra space
(Ive taken apart some wiring already existing in teh house, and half
the time I wonder how they even fit it all in in the first place), and
since this is my basement, I have no problem getting a bigger box to
make the wiring easier for myself (it will look "off" because the rest
of the outlets are duplex, but hey its just a basement). FWIW, Im
using 12/2 wire.

As far as the TV end, I have a pullout wallmount, so I dont have to
have a recessed outlet. Because of that, I just put in a Carlon
old-work zip box (Ill tie the Romex ground to the metal box Im
replacing), and Ill add a Leviton hospital grade outlet with TSS. I
may make a shorter power cable to the TV, in which case Ill use a
"flat" 3-prong plug to the outlet, to reduce the protrusion even
further.

Thanks again!
-Chris

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep, exactly what I did! Got a 4" square, 2.125" deep box from HD
(depth is probably overkill but it fit so Im not gonna argue), and
managed to find a double gang, single device "mudring" cover. That
will at least get everything up and running. Still need to locate a
dual gang wall plate with only one device opening in the center. But
again at least I can get everything up and running for now.

Thanks everyone.

-Chris

Phillip Devoll wrote:
i would go with a 4s deep and put a 1 gang plate on it

wrote in message
oups.com...
Adding a wallmounted TV in my basement, I wanted to run power from an
existing outlet 3' below where the TV will be. I have the holes cut
and the Romex run, but the original receptacle is fed by AC cable into
a metal box (obviously). 4 conductors total, with a receptacle and one
clamp. If I feed power to the new TV outlet, that will be another 2
conductors and another clamp.

So basically what size box is now recommended (required?), for 6
conductors, 2 clamps, and a receptacle? I found something on Racos
site that pointed at 22.5 cu in required, but I wasnt absolutely sure
about their chart

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Nov 2006 06:38:43 -0800, wrote:

I already ripped out the old box The situation at hand pretty much
dictates I need a larger box (I forgot to mention there is already 4
conductors in the box.......1 AC in, 1 AC out to the rest of the
basement). I need to pigtail to the new Romex off one set of AC, so a
standard outlet box will be way too small. If Racos sizing is correct,
I need a 4" box or a 4 1/16" box. I actually was surprised, but not so
surprised at the same time. I realize the need for the extra space
(Ive taken apart some wiring already existing in teh house, and half
the time I wonder how they even fit it all in in the first place), and
since this is my basement, I have no problem getting a bigger box to
make the wiring easier for myself (it will look "off" because the rest
of the outlets are duplex, but hey its just a basement). FWIW, Im
using 12/2 wire.

I know someone who had that problem this week. He used a 2-gang box
and put a receptacle in there to make it look right.

[...]

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep, exactly what I did. Got an "old work" box (enough of the drywall
was ripped out from removing the previous box that I could get my air
palm-nailer to the stud) and a centered single device mud-ring cover,
so I can get away with one receptacle and it will look the same.

One question, however.........since its a 2-gang box, Im assuming you
cant cover the box cover screws with drywall? So Ill either need a
2-gang wide wallplate with a center opening, or Ill actually have to
put 2 receptacles in teh box. I coudlnt quickly find a 2 gang wide
wallplate for a single device, but Im hoping they are out there.

-Chris

Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oops. I meant new work. But still have the dilemma about how to cover
it with a wallplate.

wrote:
Yep, exactly what I did. Got an "old work" box (enough of the drywall
was ripped out from removing the previous box that I could get my air
palm-nailer to the stud) and a centered single device mud-ring cover,
so I can get away with one receptacle and it will look the same.

One question, however.........since its a 2-gang box, Im assuming you
cant cover the box cover screws with drywall? So Ill either need a
2-gang wide wallplate with a center opening, or Ill actually have to
put 2 receptacles in teh box. I coudlnt quickly find a 2 gang wide
wallplate for a single device, but Im hoping they are out there.

-Chris

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 11 Nov 2006 06:38:43 -0800,
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Nov 2006 06:59:20 -0800, wrote:

Yep, exactly what I did. Got an "old work" box (enough of the drywall
was ripped out from removing the previous box that I could get my air
palm-nailer to the stud) and a centered single device mud-ring cover,
so I can get away with one receptacle and it will look the same.

One question, however.........since its a 2-gang box, Im assuming you
cant cover the box cover screws with drywall? So Ill either need a
2-gang wide wallplate with a center opening, or Ill actually have to
put 2 receptacles in teh box. I coudlnt quickly find a 2 gang wide
wallplate for a single device, but Im hoping they are out there.

I have wanted those before, and could use a source.

-Chris

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 11 Nov 2006 06:38:43 -0800,
wrote:

[...]

"All your western theologies, the whole mythology of them,
are based on the concept of God as a senile delinquent."
-- Tennessee Williams