Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] maradcliff@UNLISTED.com is offline

Default Replacing electrical box, what size to use?

On 10 Nov 2006 17:35:34 -0800, wrote:

Adding a wallmounted TV in my basement, I wanted to run power from an
existing outlet 3' below where the TV will be. I have the holes cut
and the Romex run, but the original receptacle is fed by AC cable into
a metal box (obviously). 4 conductors total, with a receptacle and one
clamp. If I feed power to the new TV outlet, that will be another 2
conductors and another clamp.

So basically what size box is now recommended (required?), for 6
conductors, 2 clamps, and a receptacle? I found something on Racos
site that pointed at 22.5 cu in required, but I wasnt absolutely sure
about their chart

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

If you are good at it, you should be able to fit the new wires in the
original box. You connect the new wires to the spare screws on the
original outlet. Use a modern outlet in that box too. Most are
thinner than the old ones. If you dont want to rip out the old box,
get a "Wiremold" brand, box extender. The outlet will be outside the
box and stick out of the wall abourt an inch.

Mark