Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tumble dryer has stopped spinning.

Hi there, my tumble dryer is old and I have replaced the thermostat a
few times and that's always kept it going. The other night I smelt a
burning smell like that of rubber burning and I noticed that the dryer
had stopped spinning but was still heating up. I took the back cover
off and on the bottom left hand corner there is a sort of wheel with
vents in it (it spins very fast when working) and I gave that a turn
just by manually pushing it a few times and the machine started working
again without any burning smell. The thing is I've had to do that a
few times now as the machine stops spinning intermittently. I'm
guessing it might be the rubber band that makes the basket spin? I
don't know how to get at it though. I can't see where the screws come
off so I can see where the rubber band is. Do you think it would be
the rubber band? I don't know why pushing the wheel at the back makes
it work. It's like it's stuck or something.

The machine is a Creda Concorde 311. It's a small compact tumble dryer
not the normal size kind.

Thanks for any advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gooshto" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Although it might be possible to adjust the belt tension, the fact that you
smelled burning most likely means that the contact surface has now become
glossy. You need to replace it. Get on the phone to some appliance parts
dealers. Some of them carry inexpensive repair books for specific models.
You would be wise to have such a book before attempting the repair, since
the procedure is not obvious to you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi there, thanks for the advice. I can't find a manual for it but I
unplugged it and took out ever y single screw holding it all together
and I still can't manage to pull the front of the machine off the
inside of it so I can see inside and locate the belt. What could
possibly be holding it together after all the screws have been taken
out?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gooshto" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there, thanks for the advice. I can't find a manual for it but I
unplugged it and took out ever y single screw holding it all together
and I still can't manage to pull the front of the machine off the
inside of it so I can see inside and locate the belt. What could
possibly be holding it together after all the screws have been taken
out?

I replaced the belt on my GE dryer many years ago. I seem to recall removing
only the top and the back, and then lifting the drum out. If I were you, I'd
stop fiddling until a few more people respond here. Otherwise, you might
lose track of all those screws.