Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default Furnace not igniting (Comfortmaker RPJ II - electronic igniter)

I have a Comfortmaker RPJ II gas furnace with an electronic igniter (no
standing pilot light). The furnace and the fan come on when signaled by
the thermostat but the furnace does not light. No flames come out of
the burners. I've tested this with two different thermostats thinking
our old thermostat was not turning on the furnace. But you can hear it
come on. Any ideas what else would keep the burners from lighting/ not
igniting? or what the problem may be? There is no smell of gas. Any
help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Comfortmaker RPJ II gas furnace with an electronic igniter (no
standing pilot light). The furnace and the fan come on when signaled by
the thermostat but the furnace does not light. No flames come out of
the burners. I've tested this with two different thermostats thinking
our old thermostat was not turning on the furnace. But you can hear it
come on. Any ideas what else would keep the burners from lighting/ not
igniting? or what the problem may be? There is no smell of gas. Any
help would be appreciated. Thanks.

when was the last time you had it checked and serviced??

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

The model # of the furnace is GNJ050N12D1.
I don't hear the zap, click sound which used to come before the sound
of flames.
A previous post mentioned a trouble code? Where can I check that?
I don't think it's the thermostat. I replaced my old one thinking that
was the problem. But with the new thermostat the exact same thing
happens: the furnace and fan come on, but the furnace doesn't ignite.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Comfortmaker RPJ II gas furnace with an electronic igniter (no
standing pilot light). The furnace and the fan come on when signaled by
the thermostat but the furnace does not light. No flames come out of
the burners. I've tested this with two different thermostats thinking
our old thermostat was not turning on the furnace. But you can hear it
come on. Any ideas what else would keep the burners from lighting/ not
igniting? or what the problem may be? There is no smell of gas. Any
help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gas filter clogged.

Gas injector needs resetting.

Gas controller needs calibration.

etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote in message
ps.com...
The model # of the furnace is GNJ050N12D1.
I don't hear the zap, click sound which used to come before the sound
of flames.
A previous post mentioned a trouble code? Where can I check that?
I don't think it's the thermostat. I replaced my old one thinking that
was the problem. But with the new thermostat the exact same thing
happens: the furnace and fan come on, but the furnace doesn't ignite.

Did you polarize the thermostat when you installed it? Comfortmaker needs
the thermostat polarized and sync'ed with the controller board before it
will work correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Oscar_Lives wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
The model # of the furnace is GNJ050N12D1.
I don't hear the zap, click sound which used to come before the sound
of flames.
A previous post mentioned a trouble code? Where can I check that?
I don't think it's the thermostat. I replaced my old one thinking that
was the problem. But with the new thermostat the exact same thing
happens: the furnace and fan come on, but the furnace doesn't ignite.

Did you polarize the thermostat when you installed it? Comfortmaker needs
the thermostat polarized and sync'ed with the controller board before it
will work correctly.

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how to polarize and sync the
thermostat or is special equipment required?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Hi,
He is trolling. Trouble code is blinking LED thru small glass window.
Count the blinks to come up with a code. Like ... . will be 31.
Either you have a manual or a sheet with list of code is on the cover
panel usually.

I didn't see any LED signals. There isn't a list of codes anywhere on
the furnace either.
After more trouble shooting I'm thinking it's the igniter. Usually the
first thing you hear is the click-zap sound of the electric igniter.
That no longer happens. Can a non-professional like me replace this
part or try to service it?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
MLD MLD is offline

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

wrote in message
ps.com...
The model # of the furnace is GNJ050N12D1.
I don't hear the zap, click sound which used to come before the sound
of flames.
A previous post mentioned a trouble code? Where can I check that?
I don't think it's the thermostat. I replaced my old one thinking that
was the problem. But with the new thermostat the exact same thing
happens: the furnace and fan come on, but the furnace doesn't ignite.

Did you polarize the thermostat when you installed it? Comfortmaker needs
the thermostat polarized and sync'ed with the controller board before it
will work correctly.

Hey meathead--you're not in the HVAC group. Your crap doesn't fit
here--save it for the sink hole you like to live in.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Polarizing requires a Modulating Current meter. Many VOM have them
now, they call em VOMM, for Volt Ohm Modulating Meter. Sure sounds
like your low voltage moduator might be out of synch with the circuit
board. I remember the days when you had to manually synch the
modulator every time you serviced a unit. That could take as long as
an hour, if you had to go through the six or seven cycles of bootup
which were required to fine tune the synch.

I think Oscar has a more up to date manual than mine, but some new
furnace autosynch. Just turn the power switch off for half an hour,
and make sure the case of the furnace is properly grounded to drain
off the high impedance farrady charge. Of course, Os will provide the
specific details, being a helpful fellow as he is.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Oscar_Lives wrote:
Did you polarize the thermostat when you installed it? Comfortmaker

needs
the thermostat polarized and sync'ed with the controller board

before it
will work correctly.

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how to polarize and sync the
thermostat or is special equipment required?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

As Steve reminds you, there are many reasons why a furnace would fail
to fire. If you just go replacing parts, it could easily cost more
than having the repair guy out.

You tried thermostat, and that didn't help. The next part(s) you
replace may be both expensive and unnecessary. At this point in time,
best to call the repairman. Before the weather gets colder, and the
rate schedule goes from "fall" to "winter".

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Noon-Air" wrote in message

It could also be one of the many safeties that is keeping the furnace
from
firing.
Sure you don't want to call a tech and get it properly checked and
serviced??

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Ah, the art of internet diagnosis. The answer in general terms is that
people who can do something just go ahead and do it. The fact you're
asking tells us that it's beyond your skill level.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
ups.com...

I didn't see any LED signals. There isn't a list of codes anywhere on
the furnace either.
After more trouble shooting I'm thinking it's the igniter. Usually the
first thing you hear is the click-zap sound of the electric igniter.
That no longer happens. Can a non-professional like me replace this
part or try to service it?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:19:19 GMT, "MLD" wrote:

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

wrote in message
ps.com...
The model # of the furnace is GNJ050N12D1.
I don't hear the zap, click sound which used to come before the sound
of flames.
A previous post mentioned a trouble code? Where can I check that?
I don't think it's the thermostat. I replaced my old one thinking that
was the problem. But with the new thermostat the exact same thing
happens: the furnace and fan come on, but the furnace doesn't ignite.

Did you polarize the thermostat when you installed it? Comfortmaker needs
the thermostat polarized and sync'ed with the controller board before it
will work correctly.

Hey meathead--you're not in the HVAC group. Your crap doesn't fit
here--save it for the sink hole you like to live in.
MLD

Actually, he IS in the HVAC group, and you can go ****
yourself. Learn what a cross-post is.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote in message
news
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:19:19 GMT, "MLD" wrote:

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Thanks Paul. I had to pull out my Minion card and make sure it was
up-to-date with the current validation.

Now, what do I do with all these Minion tokens that Mike gave me? The
Minion vending machine has been broke for years since Stormin tried to
adjust the latch on the service door.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 14:32:24 GMT, "Oscar_Lives"
wrote:

wrote in message
news
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:19:19 GMT, "MLD" wrote:

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

While your wallet's out .... '07 dues are due soon .....

Now, what do I do with all these Minion tokens that Mike gave me? The
Minion vending machine has been broke for years since Stormin tried to
adjust the latch on the service door.

Legacy Minion tokens can be updgraded to the current rev for
$1 / each. The legacy 50 cent tokens are eligible for a 50 % discount
from that fee.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote:

The
Minion vending machine has been broke for years since Stormin tried to
adjust the latch on the service door.

Yeh - his shoe didn't quite fit the screw heads.

Dildo fix dat.

Oh, ****, now I have to buy a new one :-(

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

I use propane and every year I have to bleed my gas line to the furnace
until I smell gas, close it off then try to restart and bingo!!!!!!!!! heat.
the electronic ignition will not try forever to light the furnace and the
pilot draws such a little bit of gas that its quicker to bleed the line then
keep retrying. Is your ignitor working????????

"Noon-Air" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Comfortmaker RPJ II gas furnace with an electronic igniter (no
standing pilot light). The furnace and the fan come on when signaled by
the thermostat but the furnace does not light. No flames come out of
the burners. I've tested this with two different thermostats thinking
our old thermostat was not turning on the furnace. But you can hear it
come on. Any ideas what else would keep the burners from lighting/ not
igniting? or what the problem may be? There is no smell of gas. Any
help would be appreciated. Thanks.

when was the last time you had it checked and serviced??

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Try fixing the leak in the line.
Bubba

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 21:35:54 GMT, "bob kater"
wrote:

I use propane and every year I have to bleed my gas line to the furnace
until I smell gas, close it off then try to restart and bingo!!!!!!!!! heat.
the electronic ignition will not try forever to light the furnace and the
pilot draws such a little bit of gas that its quicker to bleed the line then
keep retrying. Is your ignitor working????????

"Noon-Air" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Comfortmaker RPJ II gas furnace with an electronic igniter (no
standing pilot light). The furnace and the fan come on when signaled by
the thermostat but the furnace does not light. No flames come out of
the burners. I've tested this with two different thermostats thinking
our old thermostat was not turning on the furnace. But you can hear it
come on. Any ideas what else would keep the burners from lighting/ not
igniting? or what the problem may be? There is no smell of gas. Any
help would be appreciated. Thanks.

when was the last time you had it checked and serviced??

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Tony Hwang posted for all of us...

What is trouble code?

Tony, what is your code to go away?
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Tony Hwang posted for all of us...

He is trolling.

Yeah, but you don't know anything! Go help Eigen lost his vector find ET.
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

posted for all of us...

I didn't see any LED signals. There isn't a list of codes anywhere on
the furnace either.

Did you have your aluminum foil hat on? You NEED that to dissipate the bad
humors.
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Tony Hwang posted for all of us...

If you can see if the module is getting power

And Tony how does he see that? Flux capacitor?
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Tony Hwang posted for all of us...

It could be main control logic board

It could be a lot of things couldn't it Tony? Except you don't have a clue!
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

MLD posted for all of us...

What does MLD stand for? HMMM Major League Dip****?
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Oscar_Lives posted for all of us...

Thanks Paul. I had to pull out my Minion card and make sure it was
up-to-date with the current validation.

Does it have those little shiny whoreographics on it? You might need the X-ray
specs to see them.
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

posted for all of us...

wrote:

The
Minion vending machine has been broke for years since Stormin tried to
adjust the latch on the service door.

Dildo fix dat.

Yeah, he put a magnetic latch on the aluminum door.
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Bubba posted for all of us...

Try fixing the leak in the line.
Bubba

Try taking a leak on the line? WAAAA?
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Al Moran wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:30:41 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

Oscar_Lives posted for all of us...

Thanks Paul. I had to pull out my Minion card and make sure it was
up-to-date with the current validation.

Does it have those little shiny whoreographics on it? You might need the
X-ray
specs to see them.

not if it's a hollygram.

Hell, I didn't even get a Tellygram!

The X-ray specs didn't work too well either. I wore them to the last Minion
Convention and told Paul: " I always knew your were crazy, but now I can
see your nuts!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace not igniting (Comfortmaker RPJ II - electronic i

I'm having the same problem with mine. Let me know if/how you fix it
and i'll do the same.

Good luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Here's a video to help with troubleshooting & cleaning the flame sensor. It's a quick way to rule out a $15 part from causing your issue. Link to new flame sensors for the Comfortmaker RPJ II furnace in the description on YouTube. €‹https://youtu.be/aQqHtQAcxPU

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-160419-.htm