Posted to alt.home.repair

Default driveway statues - looking for ideas

and please dont tell me to google, thats where i've been for the past
hour.

looking for some honest to goodness scary statues for bordering my
driveway. nothing comical, nothing mildly scary. something that makes
you want to loose your lunch or turn around and leave would be in the
right vein.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tater wrote:
and please dont tell me to google, thats where i've been for the past
hour.

looking for some honest to goodness scary statues for bordering my
driveway. nothing comical, nothing mildly scary. something that makes
you want to loose your lunch or turn around and leave would be in the
right vein.

you might need to google to find these

skiatook statuary in tulsa oklahoma
double d statuary in texas
henri studio in chicago

these are major producers of concrete statuary

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tater" wrote in message
oups.com...
and please dont tell me to google, thats where i've been for the past
hour.

looking for some honest to goodness scary statues for bordering my
driveway. nothing comical, nothing mildly scary. something that makes
you want to loose your lunch or turn around and leave would be in the
right vein.

Have you looked for gargoyles? Nifty ones show up at antique dealers
sometimes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tater wrote:
and please dont tell me to google, thats where i've been for the past
hour.

looking for some honest to goodness scary statues for bordering my
driveway. nothing comical, nothing mildly scary. something that makes
you want to loose your lunch or turn around and leave would be in the
right vein.

http://www.woostercollective.com/images/zolt3.jpg

Should do the trick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:
Have you looked for gargoyles?

Gargoyles could be fun, especially if you put a motion detector and
put red dye in the plumbing...

"Tater" wrote
looking for some honest to goodness scary statues for bordering my
driveway. nothing comical, nothing mildly scary.

another search term (sorry, i know you said not to google) is
grotesques, which are the same as gargoyles, except they don't spit.
(Gargoyles were used to divert rainwater away from castle foundations,
grotesques are purely decorative.)

I like the gutter gargoyle he
http://www.mysticalblaze.com/Gargoyles.htm

http://www.sculptor.net/gu.htm has a nice "scary" winged grotesque
(sentinel: http://www.sculptor.net/sentmax.htm, although the other
sentinel:http://www.sculptor.net/sentinel.htm isn't bad either)
About $US1000 each, but are 43" high, and come in facing pairs.

tater writes:
something that makes you want to loose your lunch or turn around and
leave would be in the right vein.

mind you, a statue like the above would make me want to come in and
meat (sic) the neat folk that live there.

I might suggest getting in touch with you local iron-maker and butcher.
Large spikes with rotting flesh might make want to turn around and leave.

--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tater wrote:
and please dont tell me to google, thats where i've been for the past
hour.

looking for some honest to goodness scary statues for bordering my
driveway. nothing comical, nothing mildly scary. something that makes
you want to loose your lunch or turn around and leave would be in the
right vein.

Here in NY a hillary statue would do the trick- but make sure there's
not a line from the road, through it, towards your house.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17 Oct 2006 15:46:16 -0700, "Tater" wrote:

and please dont tell me to google, thats where i've been for the past
hour.

looking for some honest to goodness scary statues for bordering my
driveway. nothing comical, nothing mildly scary. something that makes
you want to loose your lunch or turn around and leave would be in the
right vein.

I was in Beijing earlier this year. To get off the beaten path I
often jumped on a bus and let it take me anywhere. There was this
place on the east suburbs of Beijing that is a home renovator's
paradise. On something like four acres of small row shops are just
about every trade and building products one can wish for. Of
particular interest to me were these stacks and stacks of dressed and
polished stone of all types, mineral patterns and colors. They make
excellent kitchen and bathroom counters, 24" x 24" floor and wall
tiles, etc. In the same sector were at least a dozen shops selling
ready carved statues. If a Chinese business want a pair of large
traditional stone lions to grace the doorway, just pick them up and
place them the same day. There were dragons of the Chinese variety
as well as of the St. George (western) type. One shop even
specialized in Greco-Roman carvings. I am sure if a picture is
provided they can carve anything you want in any stone you want.

On the TV show Mythbusters, they once had an episode where they went
to Calfornia merchant that sells clay pots and ceramics from China.
Such a shop may have the statuttes you want.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Philip Lewis wrote:
tater writes:
something that makes you want to loose your lunch or turn around and
leave would be in the right vein.

mind you, a statue like the above would make me want to come in and
meat (sic) the neat folk that live there.

so what would scare you off? so far everyones suggestions have been
real weak (c'mon, a hillary? i want **SCARY**)

I might suggest getting in touch with you local iron-maker and butcher.
Large spikes with rotting flesh might make want to turn around and leave.

sounds like a start, I think that maybe bent up circular saw blades
with lots of bloodstains might also work.

might also look into mechanicals with lots and lots of gun barrels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tater wrote:
and please dont tell me to google, thats where i've been for the past
hour.

looking for some honest to goodness scary statues for bordering my
driveway. nothing comical, nothing mildly scary. something that makes
you want to loose your lunch or turn around and leave would be in the
right vein.

Wouldn't a "No soliciting" sign do what you want?

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Tater wrote:

looking for some honest to goodness scary statues for bordering my
driveway. nothing comical, nothing mildly scary. something that makes
you want to loose your lunch or turn around and leave would be in the
right vein.

Wouldn't a "No soliciting" sign do what you want?

I want something that leaves not only the impression that solicitors
are not wanted, but that returning to the place would give them uneasy
feelings. some people think that signs are not meant for them, or that
they are special in some way.

the uneasy feeling of Dread is what i think i am looking for. my
freinds know me well enought that groteques that could convey that
feeling would be right up my alley.

Driveway drainage Mark UK diy 8 August 2nd 05 01:31 AM
help, concrete driveway rising up lucy Home Repair 6 November 16th 03 11:32 AM
driveway storm drain getting clogged with dirt Rachel Smith Home Repair 1 August 26th 03 09:14 AM