Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower Wall Width? (1/2 Wall)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Question: I am planning on having two 1/2 height walls surrounding a
44" Neo corner shower. Framless glass on top of the walls to the
ceiling and a door between the 1/2 height walls. I am wondering if the
walls have to be made with 2x4's. I ask this because I would like to
minimize the wall width.

Normal wall (from what I can see):
2x4 with 1/2" sheetrock on exterior and 1/2" Durlock/cement board on
inside with tile.

I would like to make the wall thinner. Can I trim the 2x4s or use
narrower wood? Will it affect strenght/integrity? Is there code on
this?

I will be using a Dix Systems pan liner for the shower.
http://www.dixsystems.com/

Thanks..SJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

Going with 2 x3's would save you an inch per wall. With 1/2-height walls
you probably won't notice the resulting loss of strength. The question is,
does 2 inches really make that big of difference to your layout? I wouldn't
go any less than 2x3's.

As for code issues, I have no idea. I kind of doubt it matters, since this
would normally be done with glass... But check with your inspector to be
sure -- it's his/her final call.

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:24:55 -0500, "Tim Fischer"
wrote:

Going with 2 x3's would save you an inch per wall. With 1/2-height walls
you probably won't notice the resulting loss of strength. The question is,
does 2 inches really make that big of difference to your layout? I wouldn't
go any less than 2x3's.

As for code issues, I have no idea. I kind of doubt it matters, since this
would normally be done with glass... But check with your inspector to be
sure -- it's his/her final call.

-Tim

If you're really scrabbling for space, you can turn the 2x4
studs flat, and just put them twice as close together.
Doubling the studs should ALMOST make up for the stiffness
you loose by turning the studs. Depending on what,
exactly, you're trying to accomplish, (iow, what
you need the space for) and how the shower wants
to attach to the wall, you could also put posts
up to the the ceiling at the freestanding corners, and
just go with a 3/4" marine plywood panel instead
of a studwall.

Goedjn