Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Silicone containing paints

Hello,

I hope this is the right group to post - apologies otherwise.

I am going the walls of the room of my son. The harware store suggested
using silicone-containing water based paint, claiming it is easier to
clean by wiping. Although this sounds attractive, I am not sure how
"healthy" silicone is to be used in a child's room's painting.

I will appreciate any info/pointers deeply.

Many thanks in advance,
-arifi

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frankly, I would be inclined to an "eggshell" finish, which I've used
in kitchens and bathrooms where I need to be able to clean the walls.
The old "bad actor" used to be lead which was used as a pigment. Of
course, that is no longer used.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You are "goimg" the walls, , You need a paint store thats not bull
****ting you on products. Or a real Paint store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"arifi" wrote in news:1160180868.356351.86010
@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Hello,

I hope this is the right group to post - apologies otherwise.

I am going the walls of the room of my son. The harware store suggested
using silicone-containing water based paint, claiming it is easier to
clean by wiping. Although this sounds attractive, I am not sure how
"healthy" silicone is to be used in a child's room's painting.

I will appreciate any info/pointers deeply.

Many thanks in advance,
-arifi

What finish are you using. For kids rooms, semigloss is usually a good
choice. Use a decent quality but don't wipe/clean it hard for a month.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:
"arifi" wrote in news:1160180868.356351.86010
@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Hello,

I hope this is the right group to post - apologies otherwise.

I am going the walls of the room of my son. The harware store suggested
using silicone-containing water based paint, claiming it is easier to
clean by wiping. Although this sounds attractive, I am not sure how
"healthy" silicone is to be used in a child's room's painting.

I will appreciate any info/pointers deeply.

Many thanks in advance,
-arifi

What finish are you using. For kids rooms, semigloss is usually a good
choice. Use a decent quality but don't wipe/clean it hard for a month.

Frankly, since a complete painting novice, I was assuming that no
finish would be necessary after the claims of the hardware store
(supposed to be a good and big one - Bauhaus). My concern was more on
the potential health threats emerding due to the silicone content of
the paint ...

?

Posted to alt.home.repair

arifi wrote:
Al Bundy wrote:
[...]

The silicone in the paint would not be any more harmfull than any of
the other components....
The problem with breast implants was that the silicone was leaking out
into the body...

Ive never heard of silicone in paint though... Id just go with a good
semi gloss paint.....

I do know that paint wont stick to silicone caulk.... although Ive seen
pigmented silicone...or colored silicone caulk......looks like it would
be hard to put silicone in paint....and what is the purpose of the
silicone in the paint ???

I would google "paint containing silicone" but Im just not that
interested in paint.....~:

Posted to alt.home.repair

arifi wrote:
I am going the walls of the room of my son. The harware store suggested
using silicone-containing water based paint, claiming it is easier to
clean by wiping. Although this sounds attractive, I am not sure how
"healthy" silicone is to be used in a child's room's painting.

My guess is that the salesman misspoke and meant "acrylic" rather than
"silicone". (There are no requirements for working in a paint store.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
oups.com:

arifi wrote:
Al Bundy wrote:
[...]

Neither have I but the only type of pro I am is a professional wanna-be.

I do know that paint wont stick to silicone caulk....

There's paintable silicone and it does stick. I think like GE Silicone II
is paintable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

arifi wrote:
Hello,

I hope this is the right group to post - apologies otherwise.

I am going the walls of the room of my son. The harware store suggested
using silicone-containing water based paint, claiming it is easier to
clean by wiping. Although this sounds attractive, I am not sure how
"healthy" silicone is to be used in a child's room's painting.

Probably only dangerous if you spray it.

It might "perform" just a bit too well. Not only wouldn't dirt
stick, any new paint wouldn't, either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
arifi wrote:
Al Bundy wrote:
[...]

Well at least one person wonders about the
"Silicone." Silicone is the death of most
finishes, so why would anyone put silicone in a
paint.

I think the store guy probably said or meant
silicon, and used that as an abbreviation of
silicon dioxide. Lots of paints have that as a
filler, essentially sand dust. Better paints have
titanium dioxide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The only silicone-containing paints I have heard of are for external
use, and for some specific situations, such as concrete and, I think,
high temperature coatings.

Manufacturers do put out specification sheets that give information on
safety, contents, recommended uses, etc., but I would be very surprised
if a retail store had such a sheet. Probably you would have to contact
the manufacturer for such a sheet, and then hope it was clear enough to
read.

If this paint costs much more than interior enamel, I wouldn't think it
would be worth the extra cost, especially when your child may demand a
new color in a few years.

I would be somewhat surprised if they sold a paint for interior use that
had known safety issues, but then again, they didn't always know that
lead was hazardous, or so their lawyers say.

arifi wrote:
Hello,

I hope this is the right group to post - apologies otherwise.

I am going the walls of the room of my son. The harware store suggested
using silicone-containing water based paint, claiming it is easier to
clean by wiping. Although this sounds attractive, I am not sure how
"healthy" silicone is to be used in a child's room's painting.

I will appreciate any info/pointers deeply.

Many thanks in advance,
-arifi

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7 Oct 2006 10:43:55 -0700, "Father Haskell"
wrote:

arifi wrote:
Hello,

I hope this is the right group to post - apologies otherwise.

I am going the walls of the room of my son. The harware store suggested
using silicone-containing water based paint, claiming it is easier to
clean by wiping. Although this sounds attractive, I am not sure how
"healthy" silicone is to be used in a child's room's painting.

Usually, it's the parents that end up chewing the walls.

For what it's worth, I'd expect the carriers and colorants
to be far more toxic than the silicone itself, (which,
after all, they make muffin tins out of.)

If you let the paint cure until it pretty much stops
outgassing before letting anyone sleep in the room,
it will be fine. If the smell is strong enough to
be bothersome, it's not done yet...

Probably only dangerous if you spray it.

It might "perform" just a bit too well. Not only wouldn't dirt
stick, any new paint wouldn't, either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

arifi wrote:
[...]

MANY THANKS for all the replies everyone, thanks for your time.

At the end, I picked a standard semi-glossi, painted, and am happy now.

Cheers,
-arifi

Posted to alt.home.repair

George E. Cawthon wrote:
wrote:
arifi wrote:
Al Bundy wrote:
[...]

No, the guy meant silicone. I have a couple gallons of paint made for
concrete sitting right here. It's usually found in paint/stain
products meant to seal, be weatherproof, etc.

I'm sure it could be fine in an interior application too.