Posted to alt.home.repair
Not@home Not@home is offline

Default Silicone containing paints

The only silicone-containing paints I have heard of are for external
use, and for some specific situations, such as concrete and, I think,
high temperature coatings.

Manufacturers do put out specification sheets that give information on
safety, contents, recommended uses, etc., but I would be very surprised
if a retail store had such a sheet. Probably you would have to contact
the manufacturer for such a sheet, and then hope it was clear enough to
read.

If this paint costs much more than interior enamel, I wouldn't think it
would be worth the extra cost, especially when your child may demand a
new color in a few years.

I would be somewhat surprised if they sold a paint for interior use that
had known safety issues, but then again, they didn't always know that
lead was hazardous, or so their lawyers say.

arifi wrote:
Hello,

I hope this is the right group to post - apologies otherwise.

I am going the walls of the room of my son. The harware store suggested
using silicone-containing water based paint, claiming it is easier to
clean by wiping. Although this sounds attractive, I am not sure how
"healthy" silicone is to be used in a child's room's painting.

I will appreciate any info/pointers deeply.

Many thanks in advance,
-arifi