Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Silicone containing paints

wrote in
oups.com:

arifi wrote:
Al Bundy wrote:
"arifi" wrote in
news:1160180868.356351.86010 @e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Hello,

I hope this is the right group to post - apologies otherwise.

I am going the walls of the room of my son. The harware store
suggested using silicone-containing water based paint, claiming
it is easier to clean by wiping. Although this sounds attractive,
I am not sure how "healthy" silicone is to be used in a child's
room's painting.

I will appreciate any info/pointers deeply.

Many thanks in advance,
-arifi

What finish are you using. For kids rooms, semigloss is usually a
good choice. Use a decent quality but don't wipe/clean it hard for
a month.

Frankly, since a complete painting novice, I was assuming that no
finish would be necessary after the claims of the hardware store
(supposed to be a good and big one - Bauhaus). My concern was more on
the potential health threats emerding due to the silicone content of
the paint ...

?

The silicone in the paint would not be any more harmfull than any of
the other components....
The problem with breast implants was that the silicone was leaking out
into the body...

Ive never heard of silicone in paint though... Id just go with a good
semi gloss paint.....

I do know that paint wont stick to silicone caulk.... although Ive
seen pigmented silicone...or colored silicone caulk......looks like it
would be hard to put silicone in paint....and what is the purpose of
the silicone in the paint ???

I would google "paint containing silicone" but Im just not that
interested in paint.....~:

Ive never heard of silicone in paint though...

Neither have I but the only type of pro I am is a professional wanna-be.

I do know that paint wont stick to silicone caulk....

There's paintable silicone and it does stick. I think like GE Silicone II
is paintable.