Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Yellow brick road

My little girl has gone bananas over The Wizard of Oz. For Christmas, she
wants a yellow brick road. Cute.

Our yard has a flagstone pathway through it. It's basically a bunch of
flagstones laid out near one another in a path, with grass growing around
and between the stones.

I'm wondering if there's something I can TEMPORARILY paint the stones with
to make a yellow brick road, something that won't wash off the first time
the sprinklers come on that same day, but something that will wash off over
time (even if it takes some scrubbing), yet also something that won't hurt
the grass.

Any ideas?

Jim Beaver

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
. net...
My little girl has gone bananas over The Wizard of Oz. For Christmas, she
wants a yellow brick road. Cute.

Our yard has a flagstone pathway through it. It's basically a bunch of
flagstones laid out near one another in a path, with grass growing around
and between the stones.

I'm wondering if there's something I can TEMPORARILY paint the stones with
to make a yellow brick road, something that won't wash off the first time
the sprinklers come on that same day, but something that will wash off
over time (even if it takes some scrubbing), yet also something that won't
hurt the grass.

Any ideas?

Jim Beaver

Where do you live? Believe it or not, this might be related to an easy
solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

For youth football and such, they use really cheap latex paint to paint
lines and numbers (at least around here). It doesn't kill the grass
like a coat of lime does. So latex paint might be an option. Another
option is to go online to a sports supplier and get the "real" paint
that is used for lines and stuff on big-time sports fields.

If you paint it, remember that paint only adheres as good as you clean
the surface, so if you don't clean the surfaces ....

Jim Beaver wrote:
My little girl has gone bananas over The Wizard of Oz. For Christmas, she
wants a yellow brick road. Cute.

Our yard has a flagstone pathway through it. It's basically a bunch of
flagstones laid out near one another in a path, with grass growing around
and between the stones.

I'm wondering if there's something I can TEMPORARILY paint the stones with
to make a yellow brick road, something that won't wash off the first time
the sprinklers come on that same day, but something that will wash off over
time (even if it takes some scrubbing), yet also something that won't hurt
the grass.

Any ideas?

Jim Beaver

Posted to alt.home.repair

There must be some water based arts-and-crafts paint you could use.

Anyways be glad all she wants is a yellow brick road. My girl is asking for
that American Girl stuff now. Its a new and distinct kind of pain.

"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
. net...
My little girl has gone bananas over The Wizard of Oz. For Christmas, she
wants a yellow brick road. Cute.

Our yard has a flagstone pathway through it. It's basically a bunch of
flagstones laid out near one another in a path, with grass growing around
and between the stones.

I'm wondering if there's something I can TEMPORARILY paint the stones with
to make a yellow brick road, something that won't wash off the first time
the sprinklers come on that same day, but something that will wash off
over time (even if it takes some scrubbing), yet also something that won't
hurt the grass.

Any ideas?

Jim Beaver

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote:

For youth football and such, they use really cheap latex paint to paint
lines and numbers (at least around here). It doesn't kill the grass
like a coat of lime does. So latex paint might be an option. Another
option is to go online to a sports supplier and get the "real" paint
that is used for lines and stuff on big-time sports fields.

If you paint it, remember that paint only adheres as good as you clean
the surface, so if you don't clean the surfaces ....

On a warm, sunny day mix up some gold tempera paint and wallpaper paste.
Couple of thick coats with a roller. Might stain the rock a little bit.

Or buy a cheap runner and paint "bricks" on it (use indoors). Don't
forget some red, sparkly high heels )

Posted to alt.home.repair

mrsgator88 wrote:

There must be some water based arts-and-crafts paint you could use.

Anyways be glad all she wants is a yellow brick road. My girl is asking for
that American Girl stuff now. Its a new and distinct kind of pain.

Quit your whining. My daughter is dating a rock star.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
. net...
My little girl has gone bananas over The Wizard of Oz. For Christmas, she
wants a yellow brick road. Cute.

Our yard has a flagstone pathway through it. It's basically a bunch of
flagstones laid out near one another in a path, with grass growing around
and between the stones.

I'm wondering if there's something I can TEMPORARILY paint the stones with
to make a yellow brick road, something that won't wash off the first time
the sprinklers come on that same day, but something that will wash off
over time (even if it takes some scrubbing), yet also something that won't
hurt the grass.

Any ideas?

Jim Beaver

How about shutting down the sprinklers for a few days?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
. net...
My little girl has gone bananas over The Wizard of Oz. For Christmas, she
wants a yellow brick road. Cute.

Our yard has a flagstone pathway through it. It's basically a bunch of
flagstones laid out near one another in a path, with grass growing around
and between the stones.

I'm wondering if there's something I can TEMPORARILY paint the stones with
to make a yellow brick road, something that won't wash off the first time
the sprinklers come on that same day, but something that will wash off
over time (even if it takes some scrubbing), yet also something that won't
hurt the grass.

Any ideas?

Jim Beaver

may not be achievable without adverse effects to the environment, for
example:
http://www.longfellowcreek.org/help/athome_04.htm

go for something environmentally safe, if anything at all, for your
grandchildren's sake

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote in message ...

Or buy a cheap runner and paint "bricks" on it (use indoors). Don't
forget some red, sparkly high heels )

To a real "Wizard of Oz" fan, they're called ruby red slippers. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
. ..

Norminn wrote in message ...

Or buy a cheap runner and paint "bricks" on it (use indoors). Don't
forget some red, sparkly high heels )

To a real "Wizard of Oz" fan, they're called ruby red slippers. :-)

Cheri

the ones the witch was wearing when the house fell on her?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

mrsgator88 wrote:
There must be some water based arts-and-crafts paint you could use.

Anyways be glad all she wants is a yellow brick road. My girl is asking for
that American Girl stuff now. Its a new and distinct kind of pain.

I don't have children. I have boys.

"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
. net...
My little girl has gone bananas over The Wizard of Oz. For Christmas, she
wants a yellow brick road. Cute.

Our yard has a flagstone pathway through it. It's basically a bunch of
flagstones laid out near one another in a path, with grass growing around
and between the stones.

I'm wondering if there's something I can TEMPORARILY paint the stones with
to make a yellow brick road, something that won't wash off the first time
the sprinklers come on that same day, but something that will wash off
over time (even if it takes some scrubbing), yet also something that won't
hurt the grass.

Any ideas?

Jim Beaver

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
. net...
My little girl has gone bananas over The Wizard of Oz. For Christmas,
she wants a yellow brick road. Cute.

Our yard has a flagstone pathway through it. It's basically a bunch of
flagstones laid out near one another in a path, with grass growing around
and between the stones.

I'm wondering if there's something I can TEMPORARILY paint the stones
with to make a yellow brick road, something that won't wash off the first
time the sprinklers come on that same day, but something that will wash
off over time (even if it takes some scrubbing), yet also something that
won't hurt the grass.

Any ideas?

Jim Beaver

Where do you live? Believe it or not, this might be related to an easy
solution. `

Southern California (San Fernando Valley, to be precise)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm wondering if there's something I can TEMPORARILY paint the stones
with to make a yellow brick road, something that won't wash off the first
time the sprinklers come on that same day, but something that will wash
off over time (even if it takes some scrubbing), yet also something that
won't hurt the grass.

Why temporary? Just paint the stones and when you get tired of it turn
the stones upside down

--
Free men own guns - www.geocities/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
m...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
. net...
My little girl has gone bananas over The Wizard of Oz. For Christmas,
she wants a yellow brick road. Cute.

Our yard has a flagstone pathway through it. It's basically a bunch of
flagstones laid out near one another in a path, with grass growing
around and between the stones.

I'm wondering if there's something I can TEMPORARILY paint the stones
with to make a yellow brick road, something that won't wash off the
first time the sprinklers come on that same day, but something that will
wash off over time (even if it takes some scrubbing), yet also something
that won't hurt the grass.

Any ideas?

Jim Beaver

Where do you live? Believe it or not, this might be related to an easy
solution. `

Southern California (San Fernando Valley, to be precise)

OK - the land of endless sprinkler addiction, isn't it? Isn't there a
movement afoot there to get homeowners to plant things intended for that
climate?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
news
"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
m...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Trust me, the grass I'm growing is intended for this climate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
om...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
news
"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
m...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Wouldn't it survive for a week without sprinklers, while your daughter
enjoyed the novelty bricks?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
mrsgator88 wrote:

There must be some water based arts-and-crafts paint you could use.

Anyways be glad all she wants is a yellow brick road. My girl is
asking for that American Girl stuff now. Its a new and distinct kind
of pain.

Quit your whining. My daughter is dating a rock star.

Just called me from Vegas - getting married tomorrow )