Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ground wire to water pipes

Now that I've had proper grounding installed in my breaker box, and have had
my hot, cold, and gas pipes bonded to that ground, should I remove the cold
water grounds that the previous owner installed? I didn't think to ask the
electrician while he was here, however as I got into the shower I was
wondering if it should be done.

I know the previous owner installed a ground wire from the kitchen outlet
grounds to the cold water pipe below - should that be clipped and removed
before I use that outlet? He had also originally installed a ground wire
from the washing machine to the cold water tap, so I know there are a few of
those around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
Now that I've had proper grounding installed in my breaker box, and
have had my hot, cold, and gas pipes bonded to that ground, should I
remove the cold water grounds that the previous owner installed? I
didn't think to ask the electrician while he was here, however as I
got into the shower I was wondering if it should be done.

I know the previous owner installed a ground wire from the kitchen
outlet grounds to the cold water pipe below - should that be clipped
and removed before I use that outlet? He had also originally
installed a ground wire from the washing machine to the cold water
tap, so I know there are a few of those around.

Doesn't matter. Probably. Good is redundancy is good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 10:45:48 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

Now that I've had proper grounding installed in my breaker box, and have had
my hot, cold, and gas pipes bonded to that ground, should I remove the cold
water grounds that the previous owner installed? I didn't think to ask the
electrician while he was here, however as I got into the shower I was
wondering if it should be done.

I know the previous owner installed a ground wire from the kitchen outlet
grounds to the cold water pipe below - should that be clipped and removed
before I use that outlet? He had also originally installed a ground wire
from the washing machine to the cold water tap, so I know there are a few of
those around.

For residental purposes, current NEC doesn't seem to allow such a
ground method. You might want to have someone look at it.

later,

tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'll remove it when I replace the Romex. It doesn't sound dangerous so I
won't worry, but I will correct it when the wiring is replaced. The
previous owner clipped all the ground wires in the Romex, so I have to
replace it in order to get grounded service at that fixture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DK wrote:
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 15:19:37 -0400, Tom The Great

For residental purposes, current NEC doesn't seem to allow such a
ground method. You might want to have someone look at it.

**** NEC

Spoken like a man who likes to learn from his own mistakes rather than
learn from others.

Well I could be wrong maybe he does not learn from his own mistakes
either.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ground redundancy" actually isn't always so good as you may think.

What is called a ground loop can be anything from an annoying problem to
costing the owners dollars to find & fix to something that may be dangerous
to certain appliances.

need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM
Am I grounded? Electrically speaking. Anthony Diodati Home Repair 39 January 4th 04 08:11 PM
Grounding Rod Info Mark Wilson Home Repair 37 July 19th 03 02:34 PM