Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Ground wire to water pipes

"Tom The Great" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 10:45:48 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

Now that I've had proper grounding installed in my breaker box, and have
had
my hot, cold, and gas pipes bonded to that ground, should I remove the
cold
water grounds that the previous owner installed? I didn't think to ask
the
electrician while he was here, however as I got into the shower I was
wondering if it should be done.

I know the previous owner installed a ground wire from the kitchen outlet
grounds to the cold water pipe below - should that be clipped and removed
before I use that outlet? He had also originally installed a ground wire
from the washing machine to the cold water tap, so I know there are a few
of
those around.

For residental purposes, current NEC doesn't seem to allow such a
ground method. You might want to have someone look at it.

later,

tom

I'll remove it when I replace the Romex. It doesn't sound dangerous so I
won't worry, but I will correct it when the wiring is replaced. The
previous owner clipped all the ground wires in the Romex, so I have to
replace it in order to get grounded service at that fixture.