Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tub to shower conversion

Hello all -
We plan on converting a one-piece fiberglass tub/shower unit into a
shower only. We have received estimates from a local contractor who
proposes to do the conversion using off-the-shelf materials and local
franchises of two companies (BathFitters and Luxury Home Systems) who
specialize in this sort of work. Cost proposals are significantly
higher for the local contractor, which causes us to lean toward using
one of the nation-wide operations. Both BathFitters and Luxury Home
Systems use acrylic for the shower base and walls. Has anyone here
had any direct experience with either of these companies, especially
regarding the quality of their materials? I realize there are going to
be some variables between franchisees, but would appreciate the
benefit of anyone's prior experience. TIA

Don M.
Posted to alt.home.repair

We had Bathfitters in to deal with a deteriorating tile situation
around a shower/tub. Worked like a charm, as it was turning into a
maintence nightmare. I did have a couple of seams open up as things
settled a bit, but they came right out and made it right. Overall, I'm
satisfied.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I personally don't like acrylic bases. If you are all skinny people then you
won't put much weight on it. If you are a little beefier, you may find it to
start cracking around the drain unless it is perfectly supported underneath
with absolutely no vertical movement as one moves around on it. They also
scratch very easily so you have to be careful with cleaning products as most
have some abrasives in them.

"Don Myers" wrote in message
Hello all -
We plan on converting a one-piece fiberglass tub/shower unit into a
shower only. We have received estimates from a local contractor who
proposes to do the conversion using off-the-shelf materials and local
franchises of two companies (BathFitters and Luxury Home Systems) who
specialize in this sort of work. Cost proposals are significantly
higher for the local contractor, which causes us to lean toward using
one of the nation-wide operations. Both BathFitters and Luxury Home
Systems use acrylic for the shower base and walls. Has anyone here
had any direct experience with either of these companies, especially
regarding the quality of their materials? I realize there are going to
be some variables between franchisees, but would appreciate the
benefit of anyone's prior experience. TIA

Don M.

Recommend shower door manufacturer other than Holcam central_scrutinizer Home Repair 18 September 2nd 07 11:15 PM
Installed shower retrofit kit. alan Home Repair 0 February 3rd 06 08:08 PM
Shower bath mixer tap woes Andy UK diy 8 August 22nd 05 03:43 PM
How to fix/seal plastic shower stall Actor123 Home Repair 0 February 4th 05 10:23 PM
power/electric shower Graham Wilson UK diy 1 May 29th 04 01:07 PM