Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electrical panel upgrade

Me again, with the 50's ranch-on-a-slab. Electric panel needs an upgrade
and my plumber (the one who put in the pump and plumbing through the
attic) recommended an electrician who has come back with an excellent
price. He listed two options/prices: a 100 amp 20 circuit panel for
$965, or a 150 amp 30 circuit panel for $130 more.

We are currently running the basic household appliances, gas where
applicable. One tv, one computer and occasional laptop, misc. audio,
telephone, small stuff. Above ground pool. No AC right now, assume we'll
add that eventually. One or two window units until then.

Which way should we go?

-Karen-
Posted to alt.home.repair

dkhedmo wrote:
Me again, with the 50's ranch-on-a-slab. Electric panel needs an upgrade
and my plumber (the one who put in the pump and plumbing through the
attic) recommended an electrician who has come back with an excellent
price. He listed two options/prices: a 100 amp 20 circuit panel for
$965, or a 150 amp 30 circuit panel for $130 more.

We are currently running the basic household appliances, gas where
applicable. One tv, one computer and occasional laptop, misc. audio,
telephone, small stuff. Above ground pool. No AC right now, assume we'll
add that eventually. One or two window units until then.

Which way should we go?

I'll bet you have a furnace, refrigerator and freezer too. Well also
takes a lot of amperage.
I'd get the higher service as it is not much more and price seems good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why stop there, 200 amp and be done with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dkhedmo writes:
Me again, with the 50's ranch-on-a-slab. Electric panel needs an
upgrade and my plumber (the one who put in the pump and plumbing
through the attic) recommended an electrician who has come back with
an excellent price. He listed two options/prices: a 100 amp 20 circuit
panel for $965, or a 150 amp 30 circuit panel for $130 more.

We are currently running the basic household appliances, gas where
applicable. One tv, one computer and occasional laptop, misc. audio,
telephone, small stuff. Above ground pool. No AC right now, assume
we'll add that eventually. One or two window units until then.

Which way should we go?

Definitely 150amp. That incremental cost is peanuts vs ever facing
the need to bring someone out again to do a panel.

Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Check your circuits, will 30 allow for current useage plus additions. Note
that many take double, sometimes 4 positions for one circuit. Also check out
what brand and model circuit breakers the new panel uses to be sure they are
a good brand and readily available. If you need more than 30 positions,
either a larger panel box or a subpanel box can be added, be sure it takes
the same breakers as your main panel so they can be moved around without
having to buy two different brands. You may need arc-fault breakers for the
bed rooms and GFI breakers for the kitchen, bathroom, garage and outdoors,
as you may have to upgrade to current standards when you change the panel
box.

"dkhedmo" wrote in message
k.net...
Me again, with the 50's ranch-on-a-slab. Electric panel needs an upgrade
and my plumber (the one who put in the pump and plumbing through the
attic) recommended an electrician who has come back with an excellent
price. He listed two options/prices: a 100 amp 20 circuit panel for $965,
or a 150 amp 30 circuit panel for $130 more.

We are currently running the basic household appliances, gas where
applicable. One tv, one computer and occasional laptop, misc. audio,
telephone, small stuff. Above ground pool. No AC right now, assume we'll
add that eventually. One or two window units until then.

Which way should we go?

-Karen-

Posted to alt.home.repair

dkhedmo wrote:
Me again, with the 50's ranch-on-a-slab. Electric panel needs an
upgrade and my plumber (the one who put in the pump and plumbing
through the attic) recommended an electrician who has come back with
an excellent price. He listed two options/prices: a 100 amp 20
circuit panel for $965, or a 150 amp 30 circuit panel for $130 more.

We are currently running the basic household appliances, gas where
applicable. One tv, one computer and occasional laptop, misc. audio,
telephone, small stuff. Above ground pool. No AC right now, assume
we'll add that eventually. One or two window units until then.

Which way should we go?

-Karen-

I am not sure they will even OK a 100 amps around here. I would
consider 150 a starting point.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:17:20 GMT, dkhedmo
wrote:

Me again, with the 50's ranch-on-a-slab. Electric panel needs an upgrade
and my plumber (the one who put in the pump and plumbing through the
attic) recommended an electrician who has come back with an excellent
price. He listed two options/prices: a 100 amp 20 circuit panel for
$965, or a 150 amp 30 circuit panel for $130 more.

We are currently running the basic household appliances, gas where
applicable. One tv, one computer and occasional laptop, misc. audio,
telephone, small stuff. Above ground pool. No AC right now, assume we'll
add that eventually. One or two window units until then.

Which way should we go?

You will never say to yourself, "gee, that service panel
is too big. I wish we'd gone for the smaller one when
we had the chance". If the price difference isn't
painful, go for the biggest panel available. (is this
including replacing the service drop, or is that big enough
already?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Get the bigger panel. Over time you or the next owner of the house
will tend to add things or split things off (like dedicated circuits
for appliances, the misrowave, and toaster oven). Plus if you have
GFCI or AFCI breakers in the panel they take up a lot of room so it's
always best to have the room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

At Lowe's a 32 circuit 200AMP service entrance is about $125.00

See
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...rs&N=0+5000089

--
Have a Great Week !

Check Winter Haven's Current Weather
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...er+Haven+33881
"dkhedmo" wrote in message
k.net...
Me again, with the 50's ranch-on-a-slab. Electric panel needs an upgrade
and my plumber (the one who put in the pump and plumbing through the
attic) recommended an electrician who has come back with an excellent
price. He listed two options/prices: a 100 amp 20 circuit panel for
$965, or a 150 amp 30 circuit panel for $130 more.

We are currently running the basic household appliances, gas where
applicable. One tv, one computer and occasional laptop, misc. audio,
telephone, small stuff. Above ground pool. No AC right now, assume we'll
add that eventually. One or two window units until then.

Which way should we go?

-Karen-

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Currently, it would appear that you don't need more than the 100 amp,
however if you plan to install central a-c and other who knows what
equipment, I would opt for a larger service. IMHO, 150 amp services are as
useless as... The equipment necessary to increase to 200 amp costs only a
few dollars more, in fact you can get a 30 circuit or 20 circuit panel with
200 amp main breaker, although, I'd go with a full sized 40 circuit panel

"dkhedmo" wrote in message
k.net...
Me again, with the 50's ranch-on-a-slab. Electric panel needs an upgrade
and my plumber (the one who put in the pump and plumbing through the
attic) recommended an electrician who has come back with an excellent
price. He listed two options/prices: a 100 amp 20 circuit panel for $965,
or a 150 amp 30 circuit panel for $130 more.

We are currently running the basic household appliances, gas where
applicable. One tv, one computer and occasional laptop, misc. audio,
telephone, small stuff. Above ground pool. No AC right now, assume we'll
add that eventually. One or two window units until then.

Which way should we go?

-Karen-

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Me again, with the 50's ranch-on-a-slab. Electric panel needs an upgrade
and my plumber (the one who put in the pump and plumbing through the
attic) recommended an electrician who has come back with an excellent
price. He listed two options/prices: a 100 amp 20 circuit panel for
$965, or a 150 amp 30 circuit panel for $130 more.

We are currently running the basic household appliances, gas where
applicable. One tv, one computer and occasional laptop, misc. audio,
telephone, small stuff. Above ground pool. No AC right now, assume we'll
add that eventually. One or two window units until then.

Which way should we go?

-Karen-

Request a service Calc, per the NEC.

Then start from there.

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29 Sep 2006 11:41:41 -0700, "Eric in North TX"
wrote:

Why stop there, 200 amp and be done with it.

Why not class-320?

tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

200 amp 40 circuit, a sales feature at resale time when say a shopper
has a hot tub.

Years ago I weent with 100 amp major dumb move.

pricing 200 amps.

consider a panel that accepts a special generator lockout protective
breaker.....

in case you ever want a emergency generator.

costs nothing now nice feature for future use

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
200 amp 40 circuit, a sales feature at resale time when say a shopper
has a hot tub.

Years ago I weent with 100 amp major dumb move.

pricing 200 amps.

consider a panel that accepts a special generator lockout protective
breaker.....

in case you ever want a emergency generator.

costs nothing now nice feature for future use

I agree.

Go with a 200 amp service and a 40 circuit panel and now would be the best
time to consider some sort of generator hook-up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dkhedmo wrote:
Me again, with the 50's ranch-on-a-slab. Electric panel needs an upgrade
and my plumber (the one who put in the pump and plumbing through the
attic) recommended an electrician who has come back with an excellent
price. He listed two options/prices: a 100 amp 20 circuit panel for
$965, or a 150 amp 30 circuit panel for $130 more.

13% more money for 50% more capacity? If you can't afford the extra $130, sell
one of your daughters.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
oups.com...

Why stop there, 200 amp and be done with it.

I was wondering that one myself. If you're going to do it, go for 200A...

Posted to alt.home.repair

200A No need to do it twice.

--
Steve Barker

"dkhedmo" wrote in message
k.net...
Me again, with the 50's ranch-on-a-slab. Electric panel needs an upgrade
and my plumber (the one who put in the pump and plumbing through the
attic) recommended an electrician who has come back with an excellent
price. He listed two options/prices: a 100 amp 20 circuit panel for $965,
or a 150 amp 30 circuit panel for $130 more.

We are currently running the basic household appliances, gas where
applicable. One tv, one computer and occasional laptop, misc. audio,
telephone, small stuff. Above ground pool. No AC right now, assume we'll
add that eventually. One or two window units until then.

Which way should we go?

-Karen-

Posted to alt.home.repair

a 200 amp service is pretty standard in michigan for new construction,
when we buolt our last house it cost about $1000 for the electric
company to come out to our house, trench out, sink the conduit and
cables from the source and install the 200amp box and meters. as we
waited until the basement was poured, we didn't need to get a temporary
service, so this is all we paid. not sure where you are but for
something like this you may want to call the utility for a price.

Empresser #124457

The best Games