Posted to alt.home.repair

Default another Metal Roof Question....

I have a small (18' x 24') mountian cabin with an alum. Metal roof.
This has begun to leak, and I'm destined, next week , to go and
re-pound the nails, and replace the loose ones with roofing
screews/washers.

What I am curious about is where in the roofing should the nails be
located??

The roofing has roughly the following profile

-----------/\---/\------------/\---/\------

with a set of 'peaks' about 2 " from the edge. It would seem to make
sence to nail in the valley between peaks, but I have know clue, if
that is correct...

Any Ideas????

Thanks for your time...

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a small (18' x 24') mountian cabin with an alum. Metal roof.
This has begun to leak, and I'm destined, next week , to go and
re-pound the nails, and replace the loose ones with roofing
screews/washers.

What I am curious about is where in the roofing should the nails be
located??

The roofing has roughly the following profile

-----------/\---/\------------/\---/\------

with a set of 'peaks' about 2 " from the edge. It would seem to make
sence to nail in the valley between peaks, but I have know clue, if
that is correct...

Any Ideas????

Thanks for your time...

Mike

I thought the "peak" was supposed to be installed on top of the "peak" on
the next panel, thus preventing water from working under the seam where the
panels meet. Looks like your roof was installed wrong, to me. Then when
nails or screws are used on top of the overlapped peaks, they are above the
flow of water coming down the roof and less likely to leak.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 03:15:27 GMT, "Tom G"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Sorry to leave 'gaps' in the info I provided. Yes, indeed the roofing
panels are installed in a manner that overlaps the adjacent panel,
with the edge valley's interlocking to help keep the water, snow, and
ice out. Over time, the original nails have backed out, and need to be
driven back in. I literally inherited this cabin, and had nothing to
do with it's building. There are nails in all manner of places, and I
was wondering if there was a suggested nailing pattern. I will just
drive back in the nails that seem tight, replace any that seem loose,
with screws/washers, and calk the daylights out of everything
else...

Thanks all for your time

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike,

Don't pound the nails in. Pull each nail out,one by one, replacing
it with a screw/rubber washer which Home Depot sells. Make sure to
use a diameter large enough so that the screw threads will engage...

I've seen panels installed with fasteners in valleys, and with
fasteners on peaks. I prefer the peaks, myself, since the rain runs
into the valleys in torrents and floods the head of the fastener. The
rubber washers seal it, but, hey, nothings perfect forever. On the
peaks, the water never builds up.... However, in several types, the
manufacturers reccomment fastening to the valleys, since one can
get a tighter seal, since the peaks flex over time. That's why they
ALWAYS recommend the fasteners - screw type-- to get a nice
tight compression to the washer....

I'm afraid you have a continuing problem with your roof because of
the initial installation..... if you stay on top of it, you will not
have to
buy as many buckets to use inside.... good luck..

Andy in Eureka

PS Don't drink the beer until AFTER you come down off the roof.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On 28 Sep 2006 04:42:13 -0700, "Andy" wrote:

[...]

You need to pull out and replace the nails that come loose. New
neopreme seals will extend the life greatly. Adding a longer nail
than you pull out will give you greater holding power. Use screws if
you like, especially in those areas where there are lots of nails
working loose. It indicates the wind plus expansion and contraction
is loosening your nails.

And stay out of the valleys. That's for the water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all the good advice. I will replace all lose nails with
screws/washers. I won't pull all the nails out this trip as I only
have a long weekend, and it is a 4 hour trip each way (Northern Cal)
Also this is on a 12/12 pitched roof so working on it is a pain...and
I do need some time OFF of the roof, for the afore mentioned beer...

Mike