Default Metal roof covered in rust

I have a metal roof that is totally rusted but seems to be structurally
sound--no leaks. However, I am worried about the future. Can I sand
and then coat this metal roof and expect the fix to last a few years,
or do I need to replace the whole thing?

JimL

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 12:08:45 -0500, "HeyBub"

I have a metal roof that is totally rusted but seems to be
structurally sound--no leaks. However, I am worried about the
future. Can I sand and then coat this metal roof and expect the fix
to last a few years, or do I need to replace the whole thing?

Once something gets a protective coat of rust, it takes a LONG time for the
remaining material to oxidize (decades, most likely). For example, you will
never see a barbed-wire fence (rusty though it may be), "rusted through."

Sure we have.
You just ain't old enough or seen enough. But I do agree that it
took a long time. I think....
..

Duane Bozarth

JimL wrote:

never see a barbed-wire fence (rusty though it may be), "rusted through."

Sure we have.
You just ain't old enough or seen enough. But I do agree that it
took a long time. I think....

Depends on the definition of "long" and the location...in a lot it may
not take very long at all for lower strand(s) to fail...

Andy

JimL wrote:
Sure we have.
You just ain't old enough or seen enough. But I do agree that it
took a long time. I think....
.

Andy comments:

As a man gets older, his barbed wire is the second thing to
go...G...

Andy

George E. Cawthon

HeyBub wrote:
wrote:

I have a metal roof that is totally rusted but seems to be
structurally sound--no leaks. However, I am worried about the
future. Can I sand and then coat this metal roof and expect the fix
to last a few years, or do I need to replace the whole thing?

Once something gets a protective coat of rust, it takes a LONG time for the
remaining material to oxidize (decades, most likely). For example, you will
never see a barbed-wire fence (rusty though it may be), "rusted through."

For example, Aluminum oxidizes very quickly. Looking at a soda can or a bit
of foil, what you see is Aluminum oxide.

In your case, what you want is to keep the protective Iron Oxide coating in
place so as not to expose any of the original material to the elements. I
would think a paint job would be sufficient - the paint not to protect so
much as to immobilize. And look pretty.

Generally true about the red oxide. In fact, road
guards are often just coated with the red oxide in
parts of the country and usually get smashed up
before they ever get eaten up with rust.

However, the op is talking about roofing which is
very thin. I've seen plenty of metal roofing and
siding of corrugated steel that is pitted with
lots of holes).

Again you are correct about leaving the rust there
and just painting. Apply a rust primer and then
an aluminum, or better a zinc, rich paint. There
are specific paints made for this purpose that
will last a long time. Not cheap though.

Salt and vinegar for rust removal Paul O. Woodworking 89 May 21st 04 09:20 PM
Get a New Roof But Don't Add Any Ventilation? Jay Chan Home Repair 12 March 30th 04 05:16 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM