Duane Bozarth

I have a metal roof that is totally rusted but seems to be structurally
sound--no leaks. However, I am worried about the future. Can I sand
and then coat this metal roof and expect the fix to last a few years,
or do I need to replace the whole thing?

Eventually, no doubt. I took an old machine shed and sprayed one of the
rust converters primers and then painted. That was old (70-80 yr
maybe?) heavy corrugated galvanized, not recent 26 ga, stuff however, so
it is still much heavier than typical new "tin". It's been about 5
years now and is holding up well and the light color makes for
noticeably cooler interior during hot summer.

Whether for house/light current roofs it would be cost-effective I don't
know--it wasn't a whole lot less than new tin, but new tin would have
required adding extra support in this case and that was the deciding
factor for me.

I initially intended to simply pull the sheets and turn them over since
the inside face is good as new, but after starting in it became apparent
that it would have taken essentially the whole winter...