Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need curtains for door windos

I am looking to buy curtains for my front door window. I need them to
be about 30" wide by at least 22" high. I don't see them in the
stores, so about how much fabric should I buy to make one? Seems to me
that most curtains don't go straight across, so I'd need more then the
30" plus whatever I would use to make a seam. But I don't know how
much more. Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you take a sketch to any good fabric store, they should be able to
help you with fabric sizing, type, etc., etc. Use some curtains you
have as a guide to where seams, etc., should go, how much to leave for
rods, etc. I'd address the rod and mounting issue first, and then
design the curtains from there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

you could try domestications.com, thats where I get window treatments.
You can find simple patterns online or just freehand them.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

I am looking to buy curtains for my front door window. I need them to
be about 30" wide by at least 22" high. I don't see them in the
stores, so about how much fabric should I buy to make one? Seems to me
that most curtains don't go straight across, so I'd need more then the
30" plus whatever I would use to make a seam. But I don't know how
much more. Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

If it matters, I am using a sash rod to mount them from. I probably
should have said that before. Adn yes I do see window treatments in
the stores, but none suitable for a door window (all way too large, or
the too small valence types).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
If it matters, I am using a sash rod to mount them from. I probably
should have said that before. Adn yes I do see window treatments in
the stores, but none suitable for a door window (all way too large, or
the too small valence types).

If the curtain's not secured top & bottom, it might swing out when the
door's moved, and get snagged. Why not use shirred curtains, which involves
skinny rods threaded through sewn "tubes" at the top & bottom of the
curtain?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I am looking to buy curtains for my front door window. I need them to
be about 30" wide by at least 22" high. I don't see them in the
stores, so about how much fabric should I buy to make one? Seems to me
that most curtains don't go straight across, so I'd need more then the
30" plus whatever I would use to make a seam. But I don't know how
much more. Any ideas?

Did you check in the kitchen/bath area of a department type store for
curtains? These will usually be shorter than those sold for living
room/bedroom windows. You could always buy the longer curtains and have
them shortened. Lots of dry cleaners have a seamstress who does
alterations, just take in the curtains and say how long you want them.

What kind of fabric do you want? Solid or sheer? Fabric at the fabric
store is usually 45" wide and 60" wide, if I remember correctly. Buy
extra fabric to allow for shrinkage if you're going to want to wash them
occasionally, and if so, wash the fabric before you make the curtain.
(Same with any curtain you buy and have shortened.) Will you want the
curtain to separate in the middle, meaning you'll need two panels, or
just one panel to cover for privacy?

So if you want one panel in a solid fabric, on a 30" window, I think one
length of 45" wide would be plenty; it'll bunch nicely, but not in too
froufy of a way. I'd allow at least an extra 3" top and bottom (6"
total) for the rod channel and a simple hem. So 28" should be enough
length, you should be able to buy 7/8 of a yard. You can easily get a
nice print for what, $5-6 a yard? Get two lengths if you want to have
two curtains and be able to open them in the middle. If you go with a
sheer fabric to let in more light, maybe see if there is something in a
60" width, which will bunch more, either in one or two panels.

I don't sew well enough to make clothes, but basic curtains and pillows
and such are pretty simple. If you know anyone who sews, they could
likely do it for you without too much trouble, or even set you up on a
machine to do it yourself. It's not really the actual sewing that's that
hard, as with most things, it's the preparation. Measure twice, cut
once, and all that.

-Karen-
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am looking to buy curtains for my front door window. I need them to
be about 30" wide by at least 22" high. I don't see them in the
stores, so about how much fabric should I buy to make one? Seems to me
that most curtains don't go straight across, so I'd need more then the
30" plus whatever I would use to make a seam. But I don't know how
much more. Any ideas?

It depends on the style of curtains and the fullness you want. If the
curtains are to be simply gathered on a rod, I always use at least 2-1/2
times the width. Also, allow plenty of extra fabric for the top (including
a channel for the rod) and bottom (for a nice double hem if the curtains are
sheer).

MaryL

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
If it matters, I am using a sash rod to mount them from. I probably
should have said that before. Adn yes I do see window treatments in
the stores, but none suitable for a door window (all way too large, or
the too small valence types).

Ooops, ignore my previous response. I just noticed that these are for a
door window.

Will they have a rod both top and bottom? If so, be sure to let someone in
a fabric store know the design, and they can probably help you with precise
measurements.

MaryL

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

I assume this is 2 curtains you need?
Are you planning to put a sash rod on the top and bottom. Door curtains
are not as full as a shirred window curtain. If you are planning to put
the sash rod both upper and lower. You will need 30" length for each
curtain. with a 4" hem on both ends. 1 3/4 yards of 45 inch material.
Make sure you measure were the rods will go on the material. So you know
where to fold over for hems.

Within that four inch hem you will need a rod pocket in the middle of
them.

Very hard to explain here unless you have sewed before. But you don't
even have to
sew them. They have this stuff they called Steam a Seam. For hems of all
kinds.
Fabric store can show you. You fold the material and slip this in
between the hems and iron it. Washable .

I make my own drapes and all my own cutains. by usually sewing. But
needed some fast tab top curtains before holdiays last year. Made 4
pairs of tab top curtains only using the Steam a seam.Curtains were
96" wide by 84" long. Worked out great. Only took me 2 hours.

If you have any questions e-mail me.

PJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I am looking to buy curtains for my front door window. I need them to
be about 30" wide by at least 22" high. I don't see them in the
stores, so about how much fabric should I buy to make one? Seems to me
that most curtains don't go straight across, so I'd need more then the
30" plus whatever I would use to make a seam. But I don't know how
much more. Any ideas?

If the OP will reply, it will be a little easier to offer solutions.
Above schematic can be guide for sewing or altering curtains. Venetian
blind might be simpler solution if no sewing machine available. Rods at
top and bottom are preferable for doors so curtain stays in place.
Double width is plenty unless a sheer fabric is used. If sheer fabric
is used, 2 1/2 widths makes for better coverage. Percale - like a bed
sheet - assures more privacy but lets light in; double width plenty.
Double hem on each side, about 1/2 or 3/4".

x + y = hem. Hem should be doubled over. y = diameter of rod plus
1/2". Dotted lines are stitching lines. Rod goes through y channel
sewn. w = window height plus 1" or whatever you choose; you don't want
the rod in front of glass.

Pretty simple project if you have a sewing machine. Lots of sewing
machine shops sell good used ones. They come in very handy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

you can make a curtain from you used shower curtain to the exact size
you need. it will be a size pattern to make what you want and let you
figure out hanging hardware.
take it to your local dry cleaners and inquire about any abandoned
curtains for sale. they can advise you of their seamstress prices.
see-thru or light diffusing or room darkening?
remember there are 2 viewing sides to your project, indoors and
outdoors views.
will these be matching other window treatments?

wrote:
I am looking to buy curtains for my front door window. I need them to
be about 30" wide by at least 22" high. I don't see them in the
stores, so about how much fabric should I buy to make one? Seems to me
that most curtains don't go straight across, so I'd need more then the
30" plus whatever I would use to make a seam. But I don't know how
much more. Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Answers to some of your questions:

No bottom rod, this curtain only needs to be 22" high. I have seen the
type of which you speak, and those are more applicable to doors with
huge windows. I can nt find a picture of the door online, sinc they
probably stopped making ones that liiked like it in the 50's, but it
only has 3 small windows in a diagonal fashion near the top, and anyone
can see through the two lowest ones

No matching window treatments. All my other exterior doors have no
windows. My windows have blinds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 25 Sep 2006 08:03:41 -0700, "castinneford"

Answers to some of your questions:

No bottom rod, this curtain only needs to be 22" high. I have seen the
type of which you speak, and those are more applicable to doors with
huge windows. I can nt find a picture of the door online, sinc they
probably stopped making ones that liiked like it in the 50's, but it
only has 3 small windows in a diagonal fashion near the top, and anyone
can see through the two lowest ones

No matching window treatments. All my other exterior doors have no
windows. My windows have blinds.

Instead of curtains, have you thought about using something to etch the
glass so light can get through but no one can see through them? There
are chemical etching compounds as well as spray on and even something
like contact paper. I think it would look better than the curtain, too.

Glue a japanese folding-fan to the side of each light.

Dry Lining & Curtains - UK diy 6 June 5th 06 10:54 PM
Making our own curtains - any good links/websites? [email protected] UK diy 17 February 7th 06 08:26 PM
light curtains Mark Graf Electronics Repair 0 April 12th 05 02:53 PM
Curtains: pre-made: common sizes [email protected] UK diy 4 December 23rd 04 03:01 PM
Curtains antz UK diy 3 November 25th 04 10:19 AM