Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Making our own curtains - any good links/websites?

Hi, My girlfriend and I would like to make curtains for the windows in
our house but have never done any sewing etc before. (How difficult can
it be?)

Does anybody have any links to websites showing how to do this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi, My girlfriend and I would like to make curtains for the windows in
our house but have never done any sewing etc before. (How difficult can
it be?)

Does anybody have any links to websites showing how to do this?

Its very easy. But if youve never done any sewing, you first need to
practice to get nice straight lines and not bunch up the fabric. You
buy header tape, cut to length and sew on, then pull the drawstrings in
it, tie them, to reduce the curtain width and give the pleated effect.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What about lining the curtains, is that fairly straightforward?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
Geoffrey wrote:
I can't imagine there would be a link on how make curtains - it's just
too easy.

It's easy once you know all the basics - like what length and width of
material you need, where to fit the header tape, how to thread a sewing
machine, what foot to use, how to sew a stretchy fabric if that's what you
have, &c.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geoffrey

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:28:03 +0000 (GMT), John Cartmell
wrote:

In article ,
Geoffrey wrote:
I can't imagine there would be a link on how make curtains - it's just
too easy.

It's easy once you know all the basics - like what length and width of
material you need,

Measure the width of the window - each curtain (assuming there are
two) should be that width give or take a bit. Length I can't see
anyone having a problem with.

where to fit the header tape,

At the top of the curtain - doh!

how to thread a sewing
machine,

Read the instruction book (that one is for the girls)

what foot to use,

The one that's on the machine.

how to sew a stretchy fabric if that's what you
have, &c.

Stretchy curtains? New one on me but each to his own. My advice would
be don't use stretchy fabric.

Come on - any bloke worth his salt, if told something is easy, will
work it out if it kills him. Any girl will ask her
mother/sister/auntie/best friend's mother.

I think the best advice given in this thread was to forget it if you
don't have, or can't get hold of, a sewing machine. While it is true
that many of us have sat and hand-stiched curtains, I can't imagine a
non-sewer having the patience.

--
Behind every good computer... is a jumble of wires 'n stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
Geoffrey wrote:
On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:28:03 +0000 (GMT), John Cartmell
wrote:

In article ,
Geoffrey wrote:
I can't imagine there would be a link on how make curtains - it's just
too easy.

It's easy once you know all the basics - like what length and width of
material you need,

Measure the width of the window - each curtain (assuming there are
two) should be that width give or take a bit. Length I can't see
anyone having a problem with.

Sounds simple. Most beginners badly underestimate the width required.

where to fit the header tape,

At the top of the curtain - doh!

Almost certainly very bad advice. Try 3-6" lower - depending upon effect
required.

how to thread a sewing machine,

Read the instruction book (that one is for the girls)

Smeone is going to borrow a sewing machine and find a manual withit?!
Sexist? Presumably you didn't do 'soft' technology at school. ;-)

what foot to use,

The one that's on the machine.

So you're another that breaks all those expensive needles trying to sew a wide
zig-zag (see next bit) with a bulls-eye foot.

how to sew a stretchy fabric if that's what you have, &c.

Stretchy curtains? New one on me but each to his own. My advice would
be don't use stretchy fabric.

That's one way out! But if the fabric stretches (some do) then a taut thread
will break so you need to zig-zag the thread to allow for any stretch.

Come on - any bloke worth his salt, if told something is easy, will
work it out if it kills him. Any girl will ask her
mother/sister/auntie/best friend's mother.

Your working this one out could become very expensive...

I think the best advice given in this thread was to forget it if you
don't have, or can't get hold of, a sewing machine. While it is true
that many of us have sat and hand-stiched curtains, I can't imagine a
non-sewer having the patience.

And it's painful!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

wrote:

Hi, My girlfriend and I would like to make curtains for the windows in
our house but have never done any sewing etc before. (How difficult can
it be?)

Does anybody have any links to websites showing how to do this?

I turned up a set of curtains once. Had (and still do) my Mums 1950's singer
sewing machine replete with dodgey cotton covered flex (really must change
that!).

The machine is solid and reliable though - that's point 1 - get/borrow a
*decent* (solid rather than with gay features you won't use) machine.

Second - take your time setting out that material. Big open clean floor or
large dining table (hide/anaesthetise/shoot the cat at this point), tailors
chalk, lots of pins. Pin everything in the correct shape. Sometimes running
a warm iron over the fold at the edge will help it hold the correct shape
for sewing and not go awry.

Then sew. Practice with the machine a bit first, and go steady - it's very
much like handling a jigsaw in reverse (so a bandsaw then?). You can get a
good straight line, but if you loose concentration for a second, your
stuffed.

Buy an unpicker tool - for when you do go wrong

Get the right thread for the fabric, shop assistant will advise.

Go to the right shop: Woolworths = B&Q, so no. "Maxine's Sewing Shop" or
whatever = Trade counter, staffed by people who actually know their onions,
only less fat and a lot less grumpy.

Go for it, it's pure DIY!

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
wrote:

[...]

thats the ideal, but one can do it successfully without any of the
above.

I prefer glue to pins, use clear waterbased glue, eg a gluestick. Apply
glue, apply hot iron and it dries instantly. The cloth is then flat and
flexible, so can be fed quickly. And both sides are mated perfectly.
Use a mid coloured felt tip to mark the line - wobbly lines are where
newbies go wrong - and you get a perfect result. A wash removes all
glue and felt tip.

As far as machine quality goes, almost anything would do this ok. If it
works, it'll work. A 1920s charity shop £10 special will do curtains
fine. The only real dont is dont use a chain stitch machine, those are
genuine junk, typically sold new for £5 to £20, small things to
economise on plastic, then got rid of after 1 or 2 attempts to produce
something.

I'd buy proper brand name £1 thread rather than cheap £1 for 30 junk,
but in this case, since its hidden, even the crap stuff will work ok.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

wrote:

Tim S wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Genius! I never thought of that, but it makes perfect sense

As far as machine quality goes, almost anything would do this ok. If it
works, it'll work. A 1920s charity shop £10 special will do curtains
fine. The only real dont is dont use a chain stitch machine, those are
genuine junk, typically sold new for £5 to £20, small things to
economise on plastic, then got rid of after 1 or 2 attempts to produce
something.

I agree - the 1920's machine built out of iron will almost certainly work
better than a cheap far-eastern bit of plastic tat. Most good sewing shops
sell reconditioned Singers and other good brands for varying amounts of
money if you're going to get long term about sewing.

I'd buy proper brand name £1 thread rather than cheap £1 for 30 junk,
but in this case, since its hidden, even the crap stuff will work ok.

Also true, though for a quid I'd still buy the good stuff, it's little cost
compared to the material.

Is it best to match the thread to the material where possible, cotton with
cotton or polyester with synthetic material - avoiding (the admittedly very
small) chance of problems when you first wash the curtains and any natural
fibre used shrinks a bit?

Which brings a second point up I meant to mention - natural material may
shrink when you wash it first time, so best to oversize the curtains
slightly, if your design is to "just fit" the windows rather than being
vastly bigger.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister

Tim S wrote:

Which brings a second point up I meant to mention - natural material may
shrink when you wash it first time, so best to oversize the curtains
slightly, if your design is to "just fit" the windows rather than being
vastly bigger.

Even better - wash the fabric BEFORE cutting and sewing it.
It can be difficult to predict just how much something will shrink - best
to get most of the shrinkage out of the way first, _then_ make the
curtains.

Sheila,
who has made many, many curtains.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geoffrey

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:49:55 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

Tim S wrote:

Which brings a second point up I meant to mention - natural material may
shrink when you wash it first time, so best to oversize the curtains
slightly, if your design is to "just fit" the windows rather than being
vastly bigger.

Even better - wash the fabric BEFORE cutting and sewing it.
It can be difficult to predict just how much something will shrink - best
to get most of the shrinkage out of the way first, _then_ make the
curtains.

Even better - make then in dry cleanable fabric and never wash them.
Profligate, but it does avoid both shrinkage and ironing.

Sheila,
who has made many, many curtains.

I've made a few in my time as well

--
The three most dangerous things are a programmer with a soldering iron, a manager who codes, and a user who gets ideas.