Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exterior Recessed Lighting Fixtures?

Hiya Folks,
I currently have a covered patio that appears to be built with 2x8 or 2x10
joists and the ceiling is sheetrock. The drywall texture is falling off in
chunks so I'm thinking of tearing down the sheetrock and installing some
form of wood planking (T&G probably). Anyway, I figure while I've got it
opened up, I might as well add some lighting and was thinking of recessed
fixtures. I've done a bit of searching and don't see any that are rated
for exterior use. I'm wondering if a) They even make such a beast or b)
if all recessed fixtures will suffice given they're "sealed up" in the
ceiling. I have no plans to insulate the space so IC or not doesn't really
matter to me. If such a fixture is made, I'd really appreciate a link or
lead on it. Thanks much.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

you never know when the rain will go horizontal, standard fixtures
would be a BAD idea. you could fab up a recess that would pass NEMA4X
requirements easily enough if you have access to a machine shop, but
you might look for canopy hood lights. mcmaster.com sells them for
outragoursly high prices, but you can surely find someone a little more
reasonable. another option would be to install a removable window pane
over any kind of interior lighting yo care to mount in the cieling as
long as the area is properly sealed, but I don't think that would pass
code.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

If you can stand the sticker shock there are fully waterproof light
fixtures made for marine use. But those might not, despite high quality
and superior materials, be allowed by an electrical inspector who goes
"by the book". On the other hand if your concerns are simply about
keeping a bit of rain out of the fixture, there are some water-resistant
fixtures made for use in, for example, showers. You may have to search
for one of those that look right in the outdoors.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
you never know when the rain will go horizontal, standard fixtures
would be a BAD idea. you could fab up a recess that would pass NEMA4X
requirements easily enough if you have access to a machine shop, but
you might look for canopy hood lights. mcmaster.com sells them for
outragoursly high prices, but you can surely find someone a little more
reasonable. another option would be to install a removable window pane
over any kind of interior lighting yo care to mount in the cieling as
long as the area is properly sealed, but I don't think that would pass
code.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Thanks. I might take a surf over to McMaster's website to see what's what
there. These lights will not get wet unless the roof leaks.
Essentially the ceiling of the porch is probably a foot or two higher than
the walls that surround it. It's hard to visualize from my poor
description.
Imagine 6x6 or 8x8 timbers that outline the porch (beams and posts). Then
small stemwalls built on top to rise about 1.5 ft. About a foot or so from
the top of the timbers is where the ceiling lies and above all that, my
standard roofing. There is the obvious exposure to increased humidity, UV,
etc... just due to the fact that it's outdoors but living in NM, the
humidity is usually negligible. I will keep looking for something rated
a little better than indoor use though as I really don't want to mess with
them again once installed. Thanks for the advice.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John McGaw" wrote in message
.. .
If you can stand the sticker shock there are fully waterproof light
fixtures made for marine use. But those might not, despite high quality
and superior materials, be allowed by an electrical inspector who goes "by
the book". On the other hand if your concerns are simply about keeping a
bit of rain out of the fixture, there are some water-resistant fixtures
made for use in, for example, showers. You may have to search for one of
those that look right in the outdoors.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
http://johnmcgaw.com

Thanks John. That's probably more what I'm looking for (the shower
versions). I've got one in one of my showers now so I know they're made
but you're right, aesthetics play a part here. I may just head to one of
the large lighting shops here in town and see what they have, albeit pricey
I'm sure.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is really very simple, once you already know the answer...

In the US there are a few basic ratings: Damp location, Wet location,
Submersible

"Damp location" covers your needs. It means water is around but it not
hit the bulb itself in any quantity. Most recessed lights are damp
rated and should say so on the lable!!

"Wet location" is for showers and area that will get spray cleaned.

Yes there are submersible lights, both for ponds that people don't
touch and for swimming pools. $$ and worth it!

RickR

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

The installation as you have described it is considered a "Damp" location.
Your recessed light fixtures only need to be rated for damp locations. They
will not be subjected directly to moisture. I know that several of Halo's
models are damp rated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Thanks Folks! So Damp rated it is. Now that I know the terminology,
they seem a lot easier to find!
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
"John McGaw" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

If it is any consolation, whatever you find in your pricey lighting shop
will probably be far less than one of the marine suppliers would want
for a truly waterproof fixture.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]