Posted to alt.home.repair
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Exterior Recessed Lighting Fixtures?

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
Hiya Folks,
I currently have a covered patio that appears to be built with 2x8 or 2x10
joists and the ceiling is sheetrock. The drywall texture is falling off in
chunks so I'm thinking of tearing down the sheetrock and installing some
form of wood planking (T&G probably). Anyway, I figure while I've got it
opened up, I might as well add some lighting and was thinking of recessed
fixtures. I've done a bit of searching and don't see any that are rated
for exterior use. I'm wondering if a) They even make such a beast or b)
if all recessed fixtures will suffice given they're "sealed up" in the
ceiling. I have no plans to insulate the space so IC or not doesn't really
matter to me. If such a fixture is made, I'd really appreciate a link or
lead on it. Thanks much.
Cheers,
cc

If you can stand the sticker shock there are fully waterproof light
fixtures made for marine use. But those might not, despite high quality
and superior materials, be allowed by an electrical inspector who goes
"by the book". On the other hand if your concerns are simply about
keeping a bit of rain out of the fixture, there are some water-resistant
fixtures made for use in, for example, showers. You may have to search
for one of those that look right in the outdoors.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]