Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Federal Pacific Fuse Panel

I have a Federal Pacific fuse panel. I don't have problems with the
panel. But, it is a split bus panel. Should the panel be replaced if
I am not having problems? It's a 200 amp panel.

Thanks,

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If it's a fuse panel, you may want to upgrade to a circuit breaker panel
just for the convenience

"TrailRunner" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Federal Pacific fuse panel. I don't have problems with the
panel. But, it is a split bus panel. Should the panel be replaced if
I am not having problems? It's a 200 amp panel.

Thanks,

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

TrailRunner posted for all of us...

I have a Federal Pacific fuse panel. I don't have problems with the
panel. But, it is a split bus panel. Should the panel be replaced if
I am not having problems? It's a 200 amp panel.

Thanks,

Dan

Maybe
--
Tekkie "There's no such thing as a tool I don't need."
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

The problem with any split buss panel is that unless ONLY conscientious
professionals are doing work in it, it has the potential to overload the
main feeder

"TrailRunner" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Federal Pacific fuse panel. I don't have problems with the
panel. But, it is a split bus panel. Should the panel be replaced if
I am not having problems? It's a 200 amp panel.

Thanks,

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

In my opinion if it says Federal Pacific on the cover it should be
replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18 Sep 2006 13:29:15 -0700, "TrailRunner" wrote:

I have a Federal Pacific fuse panel. I don't have problems with the
panel. But, it is a split bus panel. Should the panel be replaced if
I am not having problems? It's a 200 amp panel.

Thanks,

Dan

imho:

Don't fix what isn't broken. Unlike beakers, many fuses are quicker
to act/protect in over current conditions. So fuses are used more
often in sensitive equipement today.

However in residential conditions, people often defeat the protection
of a fuse with the addition of a penny or foil, so many insurance
companies charge higher rates for fused panels, and some might want
you to upgrade.

So check with your insurance company, you don't want it slipping
through the cracks that you have a fused panel, and later having the
company say they wont cover for an accident.

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
In my opinion if it says Federal Pacific on the cover it should be
replaced.

Actually the really old Federal Pacific equipment wasn't bad. I don't
know when they started making Walmart style equipment though.