Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Conditioner replacement help

I've gotten several quotes on replacing my air conditioner, it leaks
R22 after about 2 weeks is empty. Several techs have suggested
replacing both the internal and external units.

I've gotten several quotes around 4000-5000 dollars to replace and
install a new unit.

I see a new unit available online, both indoor and outdoor 4 ton unit
for 1800 dollars delivered....(on ebay its a large organization in FL
selling them new with warrenties Goodman is the model)

My question, how much does it cost to install these units once they are
on the premises?

Is this a job I could do myself? Just solder to the existing pipes
and wire it up to the 240? Then I'd call a tech to fill the system...

Anyone ever install a system to replace a existing one and have any
advise?

I'm VERY good at repairing things from motors to electrical/plumbing.
I have a metal lathe and milling machine, welder etc, so I'm handy and
not afraid to try something

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ealbers" wrote in message
I see a new unit available online, both indoor and outdoor 4 ton unit
for 1800 dollars delivered....(on ebay its a large organization in FL
selling them new with warrenties Goodman is the model)

My question, how much does it cost to install these units once they are
on the premises?

Is this a job I could do myself? Just solder to the existing pipes
and wire it up to the 240? Then I'd call a tech to fill the system...

NO, you can't do it if the system has to be charged. You need an EPA
license to do that work and the fines are stiff. Goodman is a low end
brand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ealbers writes:

Is this a job I could do myself? Just solder to the existing pipes
and wire it up to the 240?

Brazing, not soldering. Requires a purge gas inside the lines to avoid
oxidation.

You can get the EPA certification at http://epatest.com/, then buy about
$1K worth of vacuum pump, gage set, R-22, and other tooling to fill it
yourself.

Potential for foul-up of the first try is large. I do it myself and it is
well worth it to maintain the many A/C systems in my purview. It takes a
significant investment and study, but then you'll make it up on the first
big job like this considering what the contractors try to charge you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ealbers wrote:

I've gotten several quotes on replacing my air conditioner, it leaks
R22 after about 2 weeks is empty. Several techs have suggested
replacing both the internal and external units.

I've gotten several quotes around 4000-5000 dollars to replace and
install a new unit.

I see a new unit available online, both indoor and outdoor 4 ton unit
for 1800 dollars delivered....(on ebay its a large organization in FL
selling them new with warrenties Goodman is the model)

My question, how much does it cost to install these units once they are
on the premises?

Is this a job I could do myself? (NO!) Just solder to the existing pipes
and wire it up to the 240? Then I'd call a tech to fill the system...

The new condenser comes charges for usually around 25 feet of
refrigerant line.
However, the system is probably loaded with air & moisture, also the
lines could be lined with the original compressor's oil.

You would need a lot of tools & instruments & tons of technical
knowledge to do it right, which you do not have!

I'm VERY good at repairing things from motors to electrical/plumbing.
I have a metal lathe and milling machine, welder etc, so I'm handy and
not afraid to try something. Thanks!

Do NOT try it, get your equipment from a reputable contractor that
should do the installation right.
Study the linked pages so you will know what questions to ask when
qualifying contractors to get it done RIGHT!
- udarrell

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
(Solving ESP)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ealbers" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've gotten several quotes on replacing my air conditioner, it leaks
R22 after about 2 weeks is empty. Several techs have suggested
replacing both the internal and external units.
CY: Might be fixable, but the techs seem to want to replace. I'm not
onscene, so I'll take their word for it.

I've gotten several quotes around 4000-5000 dollars to replace and
install a new unit.

I see a new unit available online, both indoor and outdoor 4 ton unit
for 1800 dollars delivered....(on ebay its a large organization in FL
selling them new with warrenties Goodman is the model)
CY: Goodman is bargain basement stuff.

My question, how much does it cost to install these units once they
are
on the premises?
CY: Plenty. Contractors TOTALLY HATE customers who supply their own
materials. For an assortment of reasons.

Is this a job I could do myself? Just solder to the existing pipes
and wire it up to the 240? Then I'd call a tech to fill the system...
CY: No, you can't legally do it yourself. And the simple way you
describe the hookup shows that there's a lot that's outside your
experience. Most techs won't get within five miles of a home owner
hooked up system, or they will charge a fat premium cause they know
it's gonna be a total mess, and you're going to want them to use their
wisdom and knowledge and abiltiy to fix your screwups.

Anyone ever install a system to replace a existing one and have any
advise?
CY: I've been installing AC for six years, and I advise you to have a
HVAC company do it from front to end, and let them supply all the
parts.

I'm VERY good at repairing things from motors to electrical/plumbing.
I have a metal lathe and milling machine, welder etc, so I'm handy and
not afraid to try something
CY: If you're determined to try this, I assure you that you'll need at
least six months of apprentice with an existing company before you can
do one of these. And a couple thousand dollars of equipment to do it
legally.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard is right. If you have confidence in you're repair ability I
would take the time to learn about the standard air conditioning and
refrigeration cycles and get yourself a 608 Type I certification. I
think its only like $25 to take the online test, which allows you to
service small AC appliances and handle their respective refrigerants. I
got mine at epatest.com, which has more info for you than I have right
now. Compared to the thousands of dollars to replace it, I think its
worth considering.

Good Luck!