Posted to alt.home.repair
udarrell udarrell is offline

Default Air Conditioner replacement help

ealbers wrote:

I've gotten several quotes on replacing my air conditioner, it leaks
R22 after about 2 weeks is empty. Several techs have suggested
replacing both the internal and external units.

I've gotten several quotes around 4000-5000 dollars to replace and
install a new unit.

I see a new unit available online, both indoor and outdoor 4 ton unit
for 1800 dollars delivered....(on ebay its a large organization in FL
selling them new with warrenties Goodman is the model)

My question, how much does it cost to install these units once they are
on the premises?

Is this a job I could do myself? (NO!) Just solder to the existing pipes
and wire it up to the 240? Then I'd call a tech to fill the system...

The new condenser comes charges for usually around 25 feet of
refrigerant line.
However, the system is probably loaded with air & moisture, also the
lines could be lined with the original compressor's oil.

You would need a lot of tools & instruments & tons of technical
knowledge to do it right, which you do not have!

I'm VERY good at repairing things from motors to electrical/plumbing.
I have a metal lathe and milling machine, welder etc, so I'm handy and
not afraid to try something. Thanks!

Do NOT try it, get your equipment from a reputable contractor that
should do the installation right.
Study the linked pages so you will know what questions to ask when
qualifying contractors to get it done RIGHT!
- udarrell

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
(Solving ESP)