Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Conditioner replacement help

"ealbers" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've gotten several quotes on replacing my air conditioner, it leaks
R22 after about 2 weeks is empty. Several techs have suggested
replacing both the internal and external units.
CY: Might be fixable, but the techs seem to want to replace. I'm not
onscene, so I'll take their word for it.

I've gotten several quotes around 4000-5000 dollars to replace and
install a new unit.

I see a new unit available online, both indoor and outdoor 4 ton unit
for 1800 dollars delivered....(on ebay its a large organization in FL
selling them new with warrenties Goodman is the model)
CY: Goodman is bargain basement stuff.

My question, how much does it cost to install these units once they
are
on the premises?
CY: Plenty. Contractors TOTALLY HATE customers who supply their own
materials. For an assortment of reasons.

Is this a job I could do myself? Just solder to the existing pipes
and wire it up to the 240? Then I'd call a tech to fill the system...
CY: No, you can't legally do it yourself. And the simple way you
describe the hookup shows that there's a lot that's outside your
experience. Most techs won't get within five miles of a home owner
hooked up system, or they will charge a fat premium cause they know
it's gonna be a total mess, and you're going to want them to use their
wisdom and knowledge and abiltiy to fix your screwups.

Anyone ever install a system to replace a existing one and have any
advise?
CY: I've been installing AC for six years, and I advise you to have a
HVAC company do it from front to end, and let them supply all the
parts.

I'm VERY good at repairing things from motors to electrical/plumbing.
I have a metal lathe and milling machine, welder etc, so I'm handy and
not afraid to try something
CY: If you're determined to try this, I assure you that you'll need at
least six months of apprentice with an existing company before you can
do one of these. And a couple thousand dollars of equipment to do it
legally.

Thanks!