Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hoods

Hello,

Would you please tell me all about stove hoods.
I need a stove hood that is self-contained- is there
such a thing. In other words i can have no chimney
going out to the out side. the "hood" needs to be
directly over the stove; hugging the ceiling. Is there
such a thing?
Thank you.
Truly

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry wrote:
Hello,

Would you please tell me all about stove hoods.
I need a stove hood that is self-contained- is there
such a thing. In other words i can have no chimney
going out to the out side. the "hood" needs to be
directly over the stove; hugging the ceiling. Is there
such a thing?
Thank you.
Truly

There are non-vented hoods. However before you go buy one, why do you
want a hood?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

Would you please tell me all about stove hoods.

No.

Don't be so lazy...

www.google.com

www.ask.com

-zero

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Harry wrote:
Hello,

Would you please tell me all about stove hoods.
I need a stove hood that is self-contained- is there
such a thing. In other words i can have no chimney
going out to the out side. the "hood" needs to be
directly over the stove; hugging the ceiling. Is there
such a thing?
Thank you.
Truly

There are non-vented hoods. However before you go buy one, why do you
want a hood?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Hello Joseph Meehar,
The reason i think i want a "hood" is because
it is to trap the nasty grease that wouldhave
traveled all through my house. So is that the
right thing to do?
Truly

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry wrote:
Hello,

Would you please tell me all about stove hoods.
I need a stove hood that is self-contained- is there
such a thing. In other words i can have no chimney
going out to the out side. the "hood" needs to be
directly over the stove; hugging the ceiling. Is there
such a thing?
Thank you.
Truly

There are, asMr. Meehan says, recirculating hoods.
They are better than nothing, and much less useful than vented hoods.
There are updraft and downdraft arrangements, if you need a path to the
outside.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair

most hoods can went into the house through charcoal filters, instead of
out the back, they go out the front. the best hoods I have seen so far
actualy blow a portion of the air down in a shield in front of the
stove to create a sort of air cyclone to capture the air and keep smke
and oders focused through the vent.

It realy is best if it would be possible to create a vent to an outside
wall (through soffit or walls).

Empress2454 #124457

The best Games

Harry wrote:
Hello,

Would you please tell me all about stove hoods.
I need a stove hood that is self-contained- is there
such a thing. In other words i can have no chimney
going out to the out side. the "hood" needs to be
directly over the stove; hugging the ceiling. Is there
such a thing?
Thank you.
Truly

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Harry wrote:
Hello,

Would you please tell me all about stove hoods.
I need a stove hood that is self-contained- is there
such a thing. In other words i can have no chimney
going out to the out side. the "hood" needs to be
directly over the stove; hugging the ceiling. Is there
such a thing?
Thank you.
Truly

There are non-vented hoods. However before you go buy one, why
do you want a hood?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Hello Joseph Meehar,
The reason i think i want a "hood" is because
it is to trap the nasty grease that wouldhave
traveled all through my house. So is that the
right thing to do?
Truly

Right answer. You can use a ventless hood to do that. They are
available most places where hoods are sold. I believe many hoods can be
installed either way.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, vented to the outside is best. A charcoal filter will help cut
odors, but there's a lot of grease from cooking in the air and you need
someway to get rid of it. If you don't scrub everything frequently, a
recirculating system will allow a thick layer of grease to accumulate.

Harry wrote:
Hello,

Would you please tell me all about stove hoods.
I need a stove hood that is self-contained- is there
such a thing. In other words i can have no chimney
going out to the out side. the "hood" needs to be
directly over the stove; hugging the ceiling. Is there
such a thing?
Thank you.
Truly

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:05:19 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Hello Joseph Meehar,
The reason i think i want a "hood" is because
it is to trap the nasty grease that wouldhave
traveled all through my house. So is that the
right thing to do?
Truly

Right answer. You can use a ventless hood to do that. They are
available most places where hoods are sold. I believe many hoods can be
installed either way.

I think so too.

I have a hood without a vent, but the electrician who wired these town
houses and also lived in one for many years put a vent in his house.
One could see the exit above his front sliding glass door.

The seller told me how expensive the replaceable charcoal filters are,
and they are, so I don't buy a replacement. The "spun" metal grill
can easily be washed in he dishwasher though. But I don't fry and
only broil, and don't use the fan much anyhow. So it doesn't get
dirty. I don't like the noise (either high or low speed), but maybe
newer ones are quieter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
snip
I think so too.

I have a hood without a vent, but the electrician who wired these town
houses and also lived in one for many years put a vent in his house.
One could see the exit above his front sliding glass door.

The seller told me how expensive the replaceable charcoal filters are,
and they are, so I don't buy a replacement. The "spun" metal grill
can easily be washed in he dishwasher though. But I don't fry and
only broil, and don't use the fan much anyhow. So it doesn't get
dirty. I don't like the noise (either high or low speed), but maybe
newer ones are quieter.

The recirculating hoods that I have run into have all been pretty noisy
and don't strike me as particularly effective. I don't do a lot of
greasy frying but when I boil a pot of water and observe the "steam"
there does not seem to be sufficient air flow to have much effect more
than a few inches from the metal grill.

Of course these have all been cheap apartment or non-upgraded builder
units, so I am sure better performance can be had. I would think
though that if the OP is looking to ceiling mount a hood it would have
to have a LOT of suction to have any effect at cooktop level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brian Attwood wrote:
mm wrote:
[...]

While they can help reduce the grease, they will not remove any of the
steam. Only exhausting outside will do that.

there does not seem to be sufficient air flow to have much
effect more than a few inches from the metal grill.

Of course these have all been cheap apartment or non-upgraded builder
units, so I am sure better performance can be had. I would think
though that if the OP is looking to ceiling mount a hood it would have
to have a LOT of suction to have any effect at cooktop level.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Exterior vented solves TWO problems.

1. In many cases, the motor is OUTSIDE ---low noise
2. Air flow ratings are usually at least double for the outside powered
units.

Exterior vent gets the steam out.

All range hoods that run when frying, braising, or grilling will trap
grease particles that would otherwise settle on walls, ceiling, and
cabinet surfaces over time. Everything gets STICKY without one of these.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Brian Attwood wrote:
mm wrote:
[...]

I think you misunderstood what I am saying. I realize that the hood
cannot remove the steam. The steam does however indicate that the
hoods that I have observed create negligible draft more than a few
inches below the hood and that most of the grease, like the steam,
probably never enters the zone of influence of the hood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brian Attwood wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Brian Attwood wrote:

I think you misunderstood what I am saying. I realize that the hood
cannot remove the steam. The steam does however indicate that the
hoods that I have observed create negligible draft more than a few
inches below the hood and that most of the grease, like the steam,
probably never enters the zone of influence of the hood.

I see. However my experience is that the steam, as well as the grease
laden hot air tends to rise and most will go through the hood.

Note different hoods have different designs and those designs can effect
the air flow patterns.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit