Sean

Default Why are kitchen island hoods so expensive?

I've been looking at island hoods online and am disturbed at the
prices being thown up for island units. Can anybody tell me why there
can be such a difference between chimney hoods and island hoods
considering that even the ones which require external motors are just
as expensive (which is the type I am after as it happens).

As I am very reluctant to pay the ammounts the online dealers are
charging, does anyone know if there are any stainless steel
fabricators who do domestic hoods in the uk who would be worth
contacting directly.

TIA Sean
Owain

"Sean" wrote
| I've been looking at island hoods online and am disturbed
| As I am very reluctant to pay the ammounts the online dealers are
| charging, does anyone know if there are any stainless steel
| fabricators who do domestic hoods in the uk who would be worth
| contacting directly.

Local commercial catering stainless steel fabricator, see yellow pages.

Owain

Sean wrote:
I've been looking at island hoods online and am disturbed at the
prices being thown up for island units. Can anybody tell me why there
can be such a difference between chimney hoods and island hoods
considering that even the ones which require external motors are just
as expensive (which is the type I am after as it happens).

They're much more 'fashionable' is probably the major reeason. If
you've got an island unit cooker then it's probable (at least in the
eyes of the people selling cooker hoods) that you've got an expensive
designer kitchen so they can charge silly money for the hood.

--
Chris Green
Sean

Andy Hall wrote in message . ..
On 15 Nov 2004 15:41:45 -0800, (Sean)
wrote:

I've been looking at island hoods online and am disturbed at the
prices being thown up for island units. Can anybody tell me why there
can be such a difference between chimney hoods and island hoods
considering that even the ones which require external motors are just
as expensive (which is the type I am after as it happens).

Reason 1 is that the production volumes are smaller than for wall
mounted hoods.

Reason 2 is that island hoods often use more material

Reason 3 is that they are often 'designer' in nature

For reason 4, have you ever heard the expression "why does a dog lick
its balls"?

As I am very reluctant to pay the ammounts the online dealers are
charging, does anyone know if there are any stainless steel
fabricators who do domestic hoods in the uk who would be worth
contacting directly.

You might try TLC Electrical. They had the best pricing when I
bought an Elica unit for built in use by a long way.
They may not have what you want in stock or on web site but can get
it.

Have a look on the web site of the Elica distributor, DR Cooker Hoods.
DR don't sell directly. Elica make almost all of the brand labelled
hoods.

I would exhaust that first before looking at fabricators. I have a
feeling that they would not save a lot if any and results might look
quite industrial. You might want an industrial look of course :-)

TIA Sean

Have just checked their website Andy. Thankyou
I've notived that the Island hood versions with external motors are
roughly £250 dearer. Since I've got my external motor and ducting, do
you think that they could supply the hood itself minus the motor (and
the extra expense)?
Still seriously expensive though

G&M

"Sean" wrote in message
om...
I've been looking at island hoods online and am disturbed at the
prices being thown up for island units.

How high is your ceiling ? Ours was low enough that we decided to mount a
flush unit in the ceiling over the hob and run it at a higher speed when
needed.

And to us it looks tidier as well.

Sean

"G&M" wrote in message ...
"Sean" wrote in message
om...
I've been looking at island hoods online and am disturbed at the
prices being thown up for island units.

How high is your ceiling ? Ours was low enough that we decided to mount a
flush unit in the ceiling over the hob and run it at a higher speed when
needed.

And to us it looks tidier as well.

Its 3.0 metres but we've dropped a 16" square column by 12 inches
already as I've read that it is difficult to source a hood that would
be long enough for this height of ceiling. I take it that 2.7m is too
high?. I believe the fan can run up to 820m3/hr so would it be
feasible or am I just guaranteeing a sticky ceiling?
Mike

"Sean" wrote in message
om...
"G&M" wrote in message

"Sean" wrote in message
om...
I've been looking at island hoods online and am disturbed at the
prices being thown up for island units.

How high is your ceiling ? Ours was low enough that we decided to mount

flush unit in the ceiling over the hob and run it at a higher speed when
needed.

And to us it looks tidier as well.

Its 3.0 metres but we've dropped a 16" square column by 12 inches
already as I've read that it is difficult to source a hood that would
be long enough for this height of ceiling. I take it that 2.7m is too
high?.

Sounds rather a lot I'm afraid. I think you really do need an island unit.

SOLID V3.5 - CABINET VISION, Cabinet Design Centre v7.0 - Cubit, 20-20 Kitchen Design V6.1,Cabinet Vision Solid, Planit Millennium II [2 CDs], TurboCAD Pro V9.0 [3 CDs] ( Turbocad Pro V9.0, TurboCad Deluxe 9.2 FloorPlan v7.3, TurboProject Express v4S code_fu Woodworking 1 May 24th 05 04:09 PM
Damp/Mould in kitchen Colin E. UK diy 1 September 20th 04 12:11 PM
Cabinet Design Centre v7.0 - Cubit, 20-20 Kitchen Design V6.1,CabinetVision Solid, Planit Millennium II [2 CDs], TurboCAD Pro V9.0 [3 CDs] (Turbocad Pro V9.0, TurboCad Deluxe 9.2 FloorPlan v7.3, TurboProjectExpress v4S), Big Hammer Do It Yourself (De TEL Woodworking 0 February 6th 04 06:34 AM
Celebrity Kitchen Design? Michelle Woodworking 9 December 8th 03 05:50 PM