Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Hoods

Brian Attwood wrote:
mm wrote:
snip
I think so too.

I have a hood without a vent, but the electrician who wired these
town houses and also lived in one for many years put a vent in his
house. One could see the exit above his front sliding glass door.

The seller told me how expensive the replaceable charcoal filters
are, and they are, so I don't buy a replacement. The "spun" metal
grill can easily be washed in he dishwasher though. But I don't fry
and only broil, and don't use the fan much anyhow. So it doesn't get
dirty. I don't like the noise (either high or low speed), but maybe
newer ones are quieter.

The recirculating hoods that I have run into have all been pretty
noisy and don't strike me as particularly effective. I don't do a
lot of greasy frying but when I boil a pot of water and observe the
"steam"

While they can help reduce the grease, they will not remove any of the
steam. Only exhausting outside will do that.

there does not seem to be sufficient air flow to have much
effect more than a few inches from the metal grill.

Of course these have all been cheap apartment or non-upgraded builder
units, so I am sure better performance can be had. I would think
though that if the OP is looking to ceiling mount a hood it would have
to have a LOT of suction to have any effect at cooktop level.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit