Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ideas for wood paint/ varnish please

I have a newly built home in Thailand and am seeing the paint flaking off
the exterior wooden areas within 3 months. I wonder what is the best paint /
varnish to use with high UV / heat tolerance. Perhaps yacht varnish? I don't
see anything being used over here other than standard varnish or paint and
most folks are repainting every 1 year or less.

Warning: Do not use Ultimate-Anonymity
They are worthless spamers that are running a scam.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"-keevill-" wrote in message
.. .
I have a newly built home in Thailand and am seeing the paint flaking off
the exterior wooden areas within 3 months. I wonder what is the best paint
/ varnish to use with high UV / heat tolerance. Perhaps yacht varnish? I
don't see anything being used over here other than standard varnish or
paint and most folks are repainting every 1 year or less.

Less than a year seems very short for what we are used to here. I wonder if
the type of wood makes a difference also.

In the US, a good brand of outdoor latex paint will get you from five to
even more than 10 years. If you use varnish, a marine or spar varnish would
be better since they have UV inhibitors and remain a bit more flexible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

-keevill- wrote:
I have a newly built home in Thailand and am seeing the paint flaking off
the exterior wooden areas within 3 months. I wonder what is the best paint /
varnish to use with high UV / heat tolerance. Perhaps yacht varnish? I don't
see anything being used over here other than standard varnish or paint and
most folks are repainting every 1 year or less.

Warning: Do not use Ultimate-Anonymity
They are worthless spamers that are running a scam.

I would look beyond the paint product.
Check local practice for preparation and application.
Check moisture levels in the wood.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Either wet wood, improper aplication in sun or to hot or crap products
allow failure in less than 7 yrs on a new home, 3 months is unthinkable,
and leads to many possible problems, even the wood type. You need to
know more about everything to know what is best and causing this, even
wood moisture content. A solid color oil or latex stain might be your
best choise

Posted to alt.home.repair

-keevill- wrote:
I have a newly built home in Thailand and am seeing the paint flaking
off the exterior wooden areas within 3 months. I wonder what is the
best paint / varnish to use with high UV / heat tolerance. Perhaps
yacht varnish? I don't see anything being used over here other than
standard varnish or paint and most folks are repainting every 1 year
or less.

I would be looking for the reason you have moisture in the wood. Maybe
leaks, maybe migration from inside. High UV will cause fading, high heat
can cause problems applying paint, but neither should cause the type of
failure you are reporting.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

.. .

/
varnish to use with high UV / heat tolerance. Perhaps yacht varnish? I

don't
see anything being used over here other than standard varnish or paint and
most folks are repainting every 1 year or less.

What do the Thais use? You would expect Thais
to have discovered for themselves either:
(1) coatings that endure in the Thai climate, e.g.
permeable stains rather than paints, or
(2) wood that looks good and lasts well unfinished,
e.g. teak and mahogany (as used for boats.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs