Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Maintenance

I have an extra large solid wood garage door on a Chamberlain 1/2 hp
door opener with an old bicycle chain-type drive. The door has always
struggled a bit when opening. Now that winter is coming to Minnesota,
I'm wondering what's best to apply to the the guide wheels on each
side of the door to keep it operating smoothly during the cold months?
Actually, I've never put any kind of lubrication on the tracks on either
side, so I'm looking for some sound advice.

Thanks!
Scott
Posted to alt.home.repair

I lube the pivot points and roller holes (for want of a better word)
annually. Also put proper grease where the mechanism slides on the
track. Neighbor had door fall on car when pivot points rusted through
due to no lube.

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 01:19:34 -0500, Scott wrote:

I have an extra large solid wood garage door on a Chamberlain 1/2 hp
door opener with an old bicycle chain-type drive. The door has always
struggled a bit when opening. Now that winter is coming to Minnesota,
I'm wondering what's best to apply to the the guide wheels on each
side of the door to keep it operating smoothly during the cold months?
Actually, I've never put any kind of lubrication on the tracks on either
side, so I'm looking for some sound advice.

Thanks!
Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oil everything and anything that moves, even motor bearings unless they
are sealed. Your problem is most likely the springs stretched and needs
adjusting. Test it, release the door from the opener at the door with
the saftey release, the door should go up and down by hand with equal
pressure. If it does not you need a pro to adjust the springs as this is
not safely DIY.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott" wrote in message
I have an extra large solid wood garage door on a Chamberlain 1/2 hp
door opener with an old bicycle chain-type drive. The door has always
struggled a bit when opening. Now that winter is coming to Minnesota,
I'm wondering what's best to apply to the the guide wheels on each
side of the door to keep it operating smoothly during the cold months?
Actually, I've never put any kind of lubrication on the tracks on either
side, so I'm looking for some sound advice.

The most important maintenance item is to balance the door weight and the
springs yearly. This reduces the stress on the opener. Google "balance
garage door".

Then of course, is to lube the moving parts like you said. Also check for
loose nuts on the door and any load bearing parts.

If your tension spring do not have a safety cable running though it, then
add one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 01:19:34 -0500, Scott wrote:

I have an extra large solid wood garage door on a Chamberlain 1/2 hp
door opener with an old bicycle chain-type drive. The door has always
struggled a bit when opening. Now that winter is coming to Minnesota,
I'm wondering what's best to apply to the the guide wheels on each
side of the door to keep it operating smoothly during the cold months?
Actually, I've never put any kind of lubrication on the tracks on either
side, so I'm looking for some sound advice.

Thanks!
Scott

Cant, answer the door question but, if it's the garage door opener
that I am thinking of the weak links are the plastic worm gear
assembly and
the top bearing. Lube the worm gear with Lubriplate and never have
the chain to tight. (let it droop). If you have it to tight the top
bearing or even the top bearing housing will fail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry Jaques wrote:
It cracks me up to see people worry about garage door springs,
especially the newer (safer, totally caged) torsion types. They'll
hang off the top of a ladder on one foot using a chainsaw but a pair
of 18" rods and a setscrew are far too dangerous to attempt.
Priceless! g

====
If you fall off a ladder, you have time for a quick prayer.

If a spring breaks, you die before you can get your **** straight with God.

Posted to alt.home.repair

tighten the springs, the opener shouldn't be moving the weight of the
door, just the motion.

Empress2454 #124457

Games that I like to play

Scott wrote:
I have an extra large solid wood garage door on a Chamberlain 1/2 hp
door opener with an old bicycle chain-type drive. The door has always
struggled a bit when opening. Now that winter is coming to Minnesota,
I'm wondering what's best to apply to the the guide wheels on each
side of the door to keep it operating smoothly during the cold months?
Actually, I've never put any kind of lubrication on the tracks on either
side, so I'm looking for some sound advice.

Thanks!
Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

peter wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

peter,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I installed a safety cable years ago, and it's saved
my bacon more than once when the springs have broken (due to age).

Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 11:29:26 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"HeyBub" quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:
It cracks me up to see people worry about garage door springs,
especially the newer (safer, totally caged) torsion types. They'll
hang off the top of a ladder on one foot using a chainsaw but a pair
of 18" rods and a setscrew are far too dangerous to attempt.
Priceless! g

====
If you fall off a ladder, you have time for a quick prayer.

If a spring breaks, you die before you can get your **** straight with God.

There were many more broken arms and collar bones than deaths with
those old type springs, BUT...

How many of the old, loose tension type springs are still in use, and
how many of those don't have safety chains on them? Probably 80% of
garage doors now have torsion type springs (wound around the rod on
the door header) which simply go "zzzzzzing" when they break and/or
unwind. Do you fear torsion springs, too, HeyBub?

VIRTUE...is its own punishment
http://www.diversify.com Website Applications