Posted to alt.home.repair
peter peter is offline

Default Garage Door Maintenance

"Scott" wrote in message
I have an extra large solid wood garage door on a Chamberlain 1/2 hp
door opener with an old bicycle chain-type drive. The door has always
struggled a bit when opening. Now that winter is coming to Minnesota,
I'm wondering what's best to apply to the the guide wheels on each
side of the door to keep it operating smoothly during the cold months?
Actually, I've never put any kind of lubrication on the tracks on either
side, so I'm looking for some sound advice.

The most important maintenance item is to balance the door weight and the
springs yearly. This reduces the stress on the opener. Google "balance
garage door".

Then of course, is to lube the moving parts like you said. Also check for
loose nuts on the door and any load bearing parts.

If your tension spring do not have a safety cable running though it, then
add one.