Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Gluing plexiglass to polyethylene

I would like to glue a 7" wide extension strip of 1/8" PLEXIGLASS to a
POLYETHYLENE window well cover.

My understanding is that many/most glues do not stick well to
polyethylene.

Any suggestions on type of glue and technique for bonding PLEXIGLASS
to clear, smooth POLYETHYLENE?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:
I would like to glue a 7" wide extension strip of 1/8" PLEXIGLASS to a
POLYETHYLENE window well cover.

My understanding is that many/most glues do not stick well to
polyethylene.

Any suggestions on type of glue and technique for bonding PLEXIGLASS
to clear, smooth POLYETHYLENE?

Not likely because the solvent/glue for plexiglass comes in polyethylene
squeeze bottles.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:

I would like to glue a 7" wide extension strip of 1/8" PLEXIGLASS to a
POLYETHYLENE window well cover.

snip

Never going to happen, but you can still get a seal between the materials.

Rough up both surfaces with a 36 grit right angle sander to provide a
rough surface, then apply 3M 5300 caulk.

Allow 1 week to cure.

Lew
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:

Any suggestions on type of glue and technique for bonding PLEXIGLASS
to clear, smooth POLYETHYLENE?

You're going to need an adhesive specifically designed for low surface energy
plastics. These are not cheap. There are some made by Loctite and 3M among
others. They are usually called structural adhesives and one example is 3M™
Scotch-Weld™ Structural Plastic Adhesive DP8010. You won't find this stuff in
your friendly neighbourhood hardware store - it is only available from adhesives
suppliers and a few specialty shops.

Do a web search on "polyethylene adhesive" and see what you find.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
blueman wrote:

I would like to glue a 7" wide extension strip of 1/8" PLEXIGLASS to a
POLYETHYLENE window well cover.

snip

Never going to happen, but you can still get a seal between the materials.

Rough up both surfaces with a 36 grit right angle sander to provide a
rough surface, then apply 3M 5300 caulk.

Allow 1 week to cure.

I was going to suggest 3M 5200. It will glue anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

blueman writes:
I would like to glue a 7" wide extension strip of 1/8" PLEXIGLASS to a
POLYETHYLENE window well cover.

My understanding is that many/most glues do not stick well to
polyethylene.

Any suggestions on type of glue and technique for bonding PLEXIGLASS
to clear, smooth POLYETHYLENE?

I read somewhere that Hot Melt Glue may work. Can anybody confirm or
deny that this will work?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Check out www.thegluedepot.com they have lots of different products. I
used them for a special epoxy recommended for repairing my wife's kayak.
They do have stuff recommended for your purpose, not cheap.

"blueman" wrote in message
I would like to glue a 7" wide extension strip of 1/8" PLEXIGLASS to a
POLYETHYLENE window well cover.

My understanding is that many/most glues do not stick well to
polyethylene.

Any suggestions on type of glue and technique for bonding PLEXIGLASS
to clear, smooth POLYETHYLENE?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:
blueman writes:

I would like to glue a 7" wide extension strip of 1/8" PLEXIGLASS to a
POLYETHYLENE window well cover.

My understanding is that many/most glues do not stick well to
polyethylene.

Any suggestions on type of glue and technique for bonding PLEXIGLASS
to clear, smooth POLYETHYLENE?

I read somewhere that Hot Melt Glue may work. Can anybody confirm or
deny that this will work?

My experience with hot melt glue in exterior applications has been less
than satisfactory. I would certainly not use it if it, or the surface
its holding, is at any time exposed to direct sunlight.

--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
Why it looks like time.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"blueman" wrote in message
I would like to glue a 7" wide extension strip of 1/8" PLEXIGLASS to a
POLYETHYLENE window well cover.

My understanding is that many/most glues do not stick well to
polyethylene.

Any suggestions on type of glue and technique for bonding PLEXIGLASS
to clear, smooth POLYETHYLENE?

Sew the peices together with wire, so that they overlap in a way
that sheds water. THere's no reason to try to make a hermetic seal,
you're just trying to keep the window well from filling with
water and debris, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"blueman" wrote in message
I would like to glue a 7" wide extension strip of 1/8" PLEXIGLASS to a
POLYETHYLENE window well cover.

My understanding is that many/most glues do not stick well to
polyethylene.

Any suggestions on type of glue and technique for bonding PLEXIGLASS
to clear, smooth POLYETHYLENE?

Ain't gonna work with glue. Even if you get it to stick at first, a week of
sunlight and UV, and/or a week of winter temps, the first time somebody even
brushes against it, it'll pop apart. Overlap the materials and use
mechanical fasteners. For plexi and poly, I'd use pop rivets with big-ass
washers on both sides to keep them from tearing out. If you need moisture
seal, a couple beads of pretty much any caulking between the layers will
work. To keep it pretty, I'd use a clear variety.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:26:50 GMT, blueman wrote:

I would like to glue a 7" wide extension strip of 1/8" PLEXIGLASS to a
POLYETHYLENE window well cover.

My understanding is that many/most glues do not stick well to
polyethylene.

Any suggestions on type of glue and technique for bonding PLEXIGLASS
to clear, smooth POLYETHYLENE?

Call a store that sells plastic only and ask them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Peter Huebner" wrote in message
t...

Just a thought: it might be a plastic welding business could do it, but I

am
not sure if/how well polyethylene welds. Might be worth trying to find out
though (I am thinking of welding a lip to the p.e. that mechanically holds

the
plexiglass, then sealing with clear silicone for instance.

Polyethylene can be welded, but I think trying to weld PE to acrylic would
be like trying to weld stainless steel to aluminum.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Bob wrote:
Epoxy isn't going to hold on poly.

Sme years back I had to buy a case of epoxy that was made specifically
for hdpe, Seemed to work. It was an expensive and specific epoxy, not
generic

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

writes:
"blueman" wrote in message
I would like to glue a 7" wide extension strip of 1/8" PLEXIGLASS to a
POLYETHYLENE window well cover.

My understanding is that many/most glues do not stick well to
polyethylene.

Any suggestions on type of glue and technique for bonding PLEXIGLASS
to clear, smooth POLYETHYLENE?

Ain't gonna work with glue. Even if you get it to stick at first, a week of
sunlight and UV, and/or a week of winter temps, the first time somebody even
brushes against it, it'll pop apart. Overlap the materials and use
mechanical fasteners. For plexi and poly, I'd use pop rivets with big-ass
washers on both sides to keep them from tearing out. If you need moisture
seal, a couple beads of pretty much any caulking between the layers will
work. To keep it pretty, I'd use a clear variety.

aem sends....

Thanks.
I did just that but used (4) 6-32 x 3/8" screws and sandwiched clear
Silicone II Door & Window adhesive between the two sheets for water
seal and supplemental bonding. Seemed easier and cheaper than ordering
some of the more exotic adhesives needed to bond polyethylene.