Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tile grout paint?

I've seen a product advertised on TV but did not write down the name.
Basically, instead of scrubbing the grout lines in your shower-tub, you
simply paint them with this white paint.

The lower tiles (grout lines) above my tub will not clean. I've tried
bleach, oven cleaner, grout cleaner, TSP, naphtha etc. etc.

Has anybody heard of this product? HD & Lowe's don't know anything about
it. I also tried a Sherwin Williams dealer with no luck.

All advice appreciated.
Ivan Vegvary

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 03:11:47 GMT, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

I've seen a product advertised on TV but did not write down the name.
Basically, instead of scrubbing the grout lines in your shower-tub, you
simply paint them with this white paint.

The lower tiles (grout lines) above my tub will not clean. I've tried
bleach, oven cleaner, grout cleaner, TSP, naphtha etc. etc.

Has anybody heard of this product? HD & Lowe's don't know anything about
it. I also tried a Sherwin Williams dealer with no luck.

All advice appreciated.
Ivan Vegvary

Really? I bought some at either HD or Lowe's awhile ago, but I'm just
getting ready to use it now, so can't comment on it. BTW: if it's the
line RIGHT above the tub, connecting the tub to the tile, that should
be caulk, not grout.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in

I've seen a product advertised on TV but did not write down the name.
Basically, instead of scrubbing the grout lines in your shower-tub,
you simply paint them with this white paint.

The lower tiles (grout lines) above my tub will not clean. I've tried
bleach, oven cleaner, grout cleaner, TSP, naphtha etc. etc.

Has anybody heard of this product? HD & Lowe's don't know anything
about it. I also tried a Sherwin Williams dealer with no luck.

All advice appreciated.
Ivan Vegvary

Made by Custom Building Products:

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/welcome.aspx

They makes a line called Polyblend with an item Polyblend Grout Renew.

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...=diy&lan g=en

It comes in 48 colors which is shown on a link from the above page. It
was $9 for 8oz and covers 80 sq ft (solid sf, not tile sf). I did get it
at Home Depot but apparently not all of them carry it. Their web site
has a Where to Buy page to enter your zip code:

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...er=dis&lang=en

I've had it on about 6 months on floor tile IN a shower and it's holding
up fine. You have to let it dry for 72 hrs before water can contact it.
Before applying, I cleaned the grout with Sulfamic Acid Cleaner for
tile. Also a Custom Building Products:

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...=di y&lang=en

I believe this to be key since the grout renew isn't going to stick to
scum & crud very long.

Al...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy writes:

It comes in 48 colors which is shown on a link from the above page.

The MSDS suggests this is nothing more than acrylic latex paint.

I suggest you try some white acrylic latex paint on your grout.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I've seen a product advertised on TV but did not write down the name.
Basically, instead of scrubbing the grout lines in your shower-tub, you
simply paint them with this white paint.

The lower tiles (grout lines) above my tub will not clean. I've tried
bleach, oven cleaner, grout cleaner, TSP, naphtha etc. etc.

Has anybody heard of this product? HD & Lowe's don't know anything about
it. I also tried a Sherwin Williams dealer with no luck.

All advice appreciated.
Ivan Vegvary

Why wouldn't you just re-grout. Pretty easy job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
I've seen a product advertised on TV but did not write down the name.
Basically, instead of scrubbing the grout lines in your shower-tub, you
simply paint them with this white paint.

The lower tiles (grout lines) above my tub will not clean. I've tried
bleach, oven cleaner, grout cleaner, TSP, naphtha etc. etc.

Has anybody heard of this product? HD & Lowe's don't know anything about
it. I also tried a Sherwin Williams dealer with no luck.

All advice appreciated.
Ivan Vegvary

Check local tile/flooring stores. There are several companies which make a
grout paint/sealant. I am doing this to my grout now. I cleaned the grout
first with those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers--work like a charm and pretty
non-toxic. For the painting, I first used a small paintbrush, which took
forever, then we bought those wheel applicators, which worked better, and
now we have a wheel applicator w/a bottle attached and it's great. It takes
a somewhat steady hand, but I can get a lot done in a short amount of time.

HTH,

Dawn

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
I've seen a product advertised on TV but did not write down the name.
Basically, instead of scrubbing the grout lines in your shower-tub, you
simply paint them with this white paint.

The lower tiles (grout lines) above my tub will not clean. I've tried
bleach, oven cleaner, grout cleaner, TSP, naphtha etc. etc.

Has anybody heard of this product? HD & Lowe's don't know anything about
it. I also tried a Sherwin Williams dealer with no luck.

Both Lowe's and HD near me carry grout colorants, which I believe are epoxy
based. Tile stores also can get it.

http://www.tiletool.net/Tile_Grout_Stain.asp

http://www.groutdye.com/

http://www.colorfastind.com/products/groutcolorant.htm

http://www.tiletool.net/Tile_Grout_Stain.asp

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Last week, QVC had a grout-restorer which essentially sounds like a paint
solution. Check out their web site a.... looked easy and simple, not to
mention neat. Whether or not it applies to your case, you tell us.

"Dano" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I've seen a product advertised on TV but did not write down the name.
Basically, instead of scrubbing the grout lines in your shower-tub, you
simply paint them with this white paint.

The lower tiles (grout lines) above my tub will not clean. I've tried
bleach, oven cleaner, grout cleaner, TSP, naphtha etc. etc.

Has anybody heard of this product? HD & Lowe's don't know anything about
it. I also tried a Sherwin Williams dealer with no luck.

All advice appreciated.
Ivan Vegvary

Why wouldn't you just re-grout. Pretty easy job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dawn" wrote in
:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
I've seen a product advertised on TV but did not write down the name.
Basically, instead of scrubbing the grout lines in your shower-tub,
you simply paint them with this white paint.

The lower tiles (grout lines) above my tub will not clean. I've
tried bleach, oven cleaner, grout cleaner, TSP, naphtha etc. etc.

Has anybody heard of this product? HD & Lowe's don't know anything
about it. I also tried a Sherwin Williams dealer with no luck.

All advice appreciated.
Ivan Vegvary

Check local tile/flooring stores. There are several companies which
make a grout paint/sealant. I am doing this to my grout now. I cleaned
the grout first with those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers--work like a charm
and pretty non-toxic.

Sulfuric acid is so much more macho though. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is so
Barry Manalow :-)

Thanks for the tip, really.

For the painting, I first used a small
paintbrush, which took forever, then we bought those wheel
applicators, which worked better, and now we have a wheel applicator
w/a bottle attached and it's great. It takes a somewhat steady hand,
but I can get a lot done in a short amount of time.

HTH,

Dawn

Removing grout from face of ceramic tile Ray K Home Repair 7 May 2nd 06 04:55 AM
Uneven Tile [email protected] Home Repair 7 April 22nd 06 05:48 PM
Excerpt: Room for Improvement Jane Smith Home Repair 1 October 3rd 05 10:22 AM
tile grout options pinya Home Repair 9 February 22nd 05 09:21 PM
Bathroom TIle Grout - How to make color the same? Les Home Repair 2 August 11th 04 12:15 PM