Posted to alt.home.repair
PK PK is offline

Default Looking for advice on sealing a concrete patio

We have a stone aggregate concrete patio and I'm considering sealing it to
protect against the possibility of someone dropping a bottle of red wine on
it :-( I have no idea if people typically seal them or just power hose it
off if such an accident happens.

Have you sealed a concrete patio?
Concrete or concrete aggregate?
Did the sealer last well over the years?

Any idea which sealer is the best to use?

Kind regards,
PK

Posted to alt.home.repair

PK wrote:
We have a stone aggregate concrete patio and I'm considering sealing it to
protect against the possibility of someone dropping a bottle of red wine on
it :-( I have no idea if people typically seal them or just power hose it
off if such an accident happens.

Have you sealed a concrete patio?
Concrete or concrete aggregate?
Did the sealer last well over the years?

Any idea which sealer is the best to use?

Kind regards,
PK

Hi,
You can seal them using sealant.
Usually silicon based. Acrylic one is shiny when
applied. Water based Silicon is not shiny.
Choice is yours. My driveway
is aggregated. I do it every 3 year or so for protection from
element.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Im really not a fan of sealants for concrete..Im just not convinced
they are worth it. But if you would like to seal it there are many
products out there for this. One word of caution depending on how the
aggregate was exposed (sandblasted or hosed off) the surface may
already be very slick. If it was sandblasted then you have a much more
rough surface to start with. If it was hosed then Im sure you know
that the slightest water makes it very slick...now imagine adding a
sealent to this already slick surface..guests with a few drinks in
them....a recipe for disaster. When we seal stamp work we use glass
beads (like used for sandblasting) to add some traction to the surface
but in my opinion it is still slippery. I honestly would not wory about
a stain of this nature even if it does stain the surface it can be
removed with a cleaning agent of your choice. The other draw back is
the sealant must be re-applied on a yearly basis so if you are looking
at a large area thats quite a bit of "upkeep cost"

Concrete or concrete aggregate?

As an industry term it is usually refered to as "exposed aggregate".
For example I have an exposed aggregate drive way or patio. I think
that is what you were asking right?

PK wrote:
We have a stone aggregate concrete patio and I'm considering sealing it to
protect against the possibility of someone dropping a bottle of red wine on
it :-( I have no idea if people typically seal them or just power hose it
off if such an accident happens.

Have you sealed a concrete patio?
Concrete or concrete aggregate?
Did the sealer last well over the years?

Any idea which sealer is the best to use?

Kind regards,
PK

Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK
We have a stone aggregate concrete patio and I'm considering sealing it to
protect against the possibility of someone dropping a bottle of red wine on
it :-( I have no idea if people typically seal them or just power hose it
off if such an accident happens.

Have you sealed a concrete patio?
Concrete or concrete aggregate?
Did the sealer last well over the years?

Any idea which sealer is the best to use?

Kind regards,
PK
hi
when i did mine, i tiled it with frost proof tiles & grouted, there some great tiles out there i used a mosaic.
it been down now for 3 year, cleaning? presure washer, the only stain is heat from our chimnea, we bought a slab to raise it off problem solved.
kayal
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thompsons water seal works AWESOME.

it seals the surface by being absorbed into the material, stone
concrete etc etc. its not a coating so it doesnt make anything slick.

just prevents absorbton. treated concrete no longer absorbs rain so
freezing doesnt do any damage.

best to repeat every few years, first time it will absorb a LOT,
reapply dont use nearly as much.

can darken surface slightly, so try somewhere if you suspect that
matters.

first application is ideally done by dumping out of can and spreading
with broom, let sit overnite, it can puddle without harm and will
evaporate if too much is applied.

hose off treated and untreated area.

treated the water beads, untreated it absorbs into the concrete and
darkens it.

thompsons is great.

I had concrete pads I fixed every year. after thompsons no futher
repairs ever needed this sidewalk and pads get rocksalted every
winter

just reapply every few years....

Posted to alt.home.repair
PK PK is offline

"PK" wrote in message
We have a stone aggregate concrete patio and I'm considering sealing it to
protect against the possibility of someone dropping a bottle of red wine
on it :-( I have no idea if people typically seal them or just power hose
it off if such an accident happens.

Have you sealed a concrete patio?
Concrete or concrete aggregate?
Did the sealer last well over the years?

Any idea which sealer is the best to use?

Kind regards,
PK

All,

many thanks for your help on this.

Yes, I have exposed aggregate - poured and then hosed off to expose the
stone. It looks great now but I happened to see some outside a restaurant
lately that just looked awful and it made me think about sealing mine.

I'm concerned that folks pulling chairs back and forth to the table would
somehow 'wear off' the sealer but that doesn't appear to be a problem given
that people are coating their driveways in this stuff.

I'll look into the Thomson's sealant but I might also consider Italian's
idea of going with a good cleaner once in a while rather than worrying about
the upkeep of a sealer.

Many many thanks for your advice,
Regards,
PK

Painting a Concrete Patio GW UK diy 9 April 13th 06 08:34 PM
Concrete Sealing. topher Home Repair 1 April 11th 06 02:28 AM
Sealing a recently poured concrete floor [email protected] Home Repair 11 August 26th 05 02:10 PM
building sun patio, concrete or wood floor? mark s Home Ownership 3 October 6th 04 07:09 PM
Making patio from concrete pavers Rob Mills Home Repair 5 October 6th 04 01:22 PM