Rob Mills

Default Making patio from concrete pavers

When laying concrete pavers on a sand bed, what type of concrete mix should
I use between the joints. I have a bag of fast setting "Quickcrete" on hand.
Would that work okay?

Rob Mills ~ Tulsa

Joseph Meehan

Rob Mills wrote:
When laying concrete pavers on a sand bed, what type of concrete mix
should
I use between the joints. I have a bag of fast setting "Quickcrete" on
hand.
Would that work okay?

Rob Mills ~ Tulsa

My advice is DON'T use any concrete in the joints.

Use sand. When you lay the pavers on sand and use sand to fill the
joints they will form a very solid surface. Later if there is some shifting
or movement, you can pick up the few that need adjustment and make the
adjustment. The result is a good as new surface.

This method usually means you will do some maintenance maybe six months
after you put it in to tidy things up and again maybe a year after that. No
big deal. After that it is good to go for years.

I once lived in an area that had brick walks and streets. They were put
in 20-80 years before I moved there. They were all in good condition. I
lived there for about 25 years and they all held up great. I added new
walks and a drive and now 40 years later they are still in use and look
good.

Do it right, good foundation and don't use concrete.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joe Fabeitz

There is also a hi-tech sand product that can be used...something like
"polymorphic...something or other". It acquires a sticky quality when
moistened the first time. The guys at the paver store know about it. It's
a little pricey ($35 / bag) but I used it on a paver sidewalk last year and
it seems to hold up better than the sand.

"Rob Mills" wrote in message
When laying concrete pavers on a sand bed, what type of concrete mix

should
I use between the joints. I have a bag of fast setting "Quickcrete" on

hand.
Would that work okay?

Rob Mills ~ Tulsa

Will Niccolls

"Joe Fabeitz" wrote in message
There is also a hi-tech sand product that can be used...something like
"polymorphic...something or other". It acquires a sticky quality when
moistened the first time. The guys at the paver store know about it.

It's
a little pricey ($35 / bag) but I used it on a paver sidewalk last year

and
it seems to hold up better than the sand.

You're referring to polymeric sand.

Most patios are fine with mason's sand brushed into the joints.

Will Niccolls

Rob Mills

Thanks to all who responded. We (actually the wife did it) filled the joints
with sand this afternoon. I looked for the hi-tech sand this morning but
came up empty handed. The folks at Home Depot tried to talk us into using
cement but we opted to go with the sand as it sounded less messy and we like
the idea that we can re-adjust things down the road.

Thanks again, Rob Mills