Default Sealing a recently poured concrete floor

I had a concrete garage pad poured on Monday and want to seal it. My
reason for sealing it is to prevent bad oil stains and other
problems...plus it would be nice not to have dust come up for it. I
did a search and I see wait 30 days and do it right after it was
poured. I was thinking of using Quickrete Acrylic Sealer. Any
suggestions on what is best to accomplish what I want...and when to do
it? Also I will be laying 2 courses of concrete block on the
perimiter...should I not seal where the block is attached?

When it comes to acrylic seals, don't get the cheapest, the best is
only a few bucks more, and it makes a big difference.

is quickrete not the best? what brands are?

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
oups.com...
I had a concrete garage pad poured on Monday and want to seal it. My
reason for sealing it is to prevent bad oil stains and other
problems...plus it would be nice not to have dust come up for it. I
did a search and I see wait 30 days and do it right after it was
poured. I was thinking of using Quickrete Acrylic Sealer. Any
suggestions on what is best to accomplish what I want...and when to do
it? Also I will be laying 2 courses of concrete block on the
perimiter...should I not seal where the block is attached?

now's the perfect time to use an epoxy paint, or some other epoxy coating.
most of them say you should wait 30 days before putting down anything, and
you want to do the block work first, so you can do up the first course too.

zenboom

wrote in message
oups.com...
I had a concrete garage pad poured on Monday and want to seal it. My
reason for sealing it is to prevent bad oil stains and other
problems...plus it would be nice not to have dust come up for it. I
did a search and I see wait 30 days and do it right after it was
poured. I was thinking of using Quickrete Acrylic Sealer. Any
suggestions on what is best to accomplish what I want...and when to do
it? Also I will be laying 2 courses of concrete block on the
perimiter...should I not seal where the block is attached?

To generalize, the best conc. strength is achieved by keeping it wet for a
month after pouring.
Drying out takes another +-3 weeks in mild temp. and humidity conditions.
However, you might compromise by not wetting -where strength is not
critical- and waiting the minimum(?) 3 weeks drying time to seal. Concrete
floor sealer manufacturers will have better advice, their products.

C & M

I'd give it a good month and lay poly down so that the odd drips don't stain
the new 'crete. You might also try calling the readi-mix plant and ask them
about how long you should wait. They're in the business and should know
their product.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I had a concrete garage pad poured on Monday and want to seal it. My
reason for sealing it is to prevent bad oil stains and other
problems...plus it would be nice not to have dust come up for it. I
did a search and I see wait 30 days and do it right after it was
poured. I was thinking of using Quickrete Acrylic Sealer. Any
suggestions on what is best to accomplish what I want...and when to do
it? Also I will be laying 2 courses of concrete block on the
perimiter...should I not seal where the block is attached?

I would fall into the epoxy category here. I would recommend a 4 coat
epoxy floor coating with a chemical resistant urethane top coat. We
have had this done for our last few clients and they have been
extremely happy with it. With the urethane top coats it is resistant to
all of your standard "garage fluids" and seems to hold up well against
the occasional dropped hammer, etc.

Joe

I did a search and I see wait 30 days and do it right after it was poured.
If you are confused about some people saying to cure it immediatly and some
saying wait 30 days, it's because they were talking about two different
things.
After the concrete is poured and finished they sometimes put a curing
compound on it, which is often called a sealer.
This stops the moisture from evaporating, thus making the concrete stronger.
You do not want this on your floor if you are going to put an epoxy finish
on the concrete.
Check with the manufacturer and see how long they suggest you wait before
applying the finish.
--
JerryD(upstateNY)