Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing Machine Problem

Hi!

I have a Kenmore portable washing machine that is about 2 to 3
years old. The problem I'm having with it is that it doesn't spin or
agitate anymore. It pumps the water in and out, but the washer spins
extremely slowly.

I flipped the washer over to check the belt, and that is alright.
I took the belt off the motor and turned it on, and the motor spun
without any problems. Put the belt back on, started the machine back
up, and it spins the washer a very little bit. There's also this
little solenoid that moves this peg back and forth through the
different cycles, which works fine.

I tried going to the bookstore tonight to find a repair book, but
they had nothing. I've tried search the web, and I found some of the
descriptions, but just don't know the specifics for the model I have.
Just wondering if anybody has any ideas of what to look for on this.

Thanks in advance...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't know. It's not leaking any oil, so I'm guessing that would
happen if it was bad.

I was looking at a bunch of web sites last night and read something
about how if you noticied some white or black shavings around where the
motor is, it might be the motor coupler. Does anybody know if this
model has a motor coupler? I *think* it might be in the motor
assembly, but not 100% sure.

Thanks for the info!

Dave M. wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Don't know. It's not leaking any oil, so I'm guessing that would
happen if it was bad.

I was looking at a bunch of web sites last night and read something
about how if you noticied some white or black shavings around where the
motor is, it might be the motor coupler. Does anybody know if this
model has a motor coupler? I *think* it might be in the motor
assembly, but not 100% sure.

Thanks for the info!

If it has a belt, I don't believe it has a coupler. If I remember
correctly, these machines had some unusual kind of transmission. They
would start to spin at the same time as they pumped the water out, would
spin a little, then stop for a time and then start to spin again. Might do
this several times until they got all of the water out. All of this to
avoid having to have a way of locking out the transmission and running the
pump only. I believe you said that it was pumping the water out but
wouldn't spin, so it would seem the pump part is ok but perhaps the
transmission is not. On the other hand, there may be a sensor/switch that
is supposed to tell the machine that all of the water is gone and that it is
now ok to spin full speed and that may be bad.
Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am guessing that what you have is a "World Washer" which is the basic
portable that is manufactured by Whirlpool for Kenmore. This platform
was originally designed to be adapted to different locales throughout
the world, thus the name. They aren't a whole lot of fun to work on,
because there is little access beside looking underneath. They also
have a lot of electronics, and a lot of non-standard parts, unique to
that platform.

Agitation is entirely motor driven. The motor reverses swiftly to give
agitation action. Spin is activated when the brake is released. I
hope this info helps.

I think that the lid switch must be closed to get agitation and spin.
Have you checked that?

sewing machinery sedatkzyk UK diy 0 March 21st 06 12:54 PM
Washing machine has filled up with water whilst turned off! pcyljmb UK diy 5 January 5th 06 11:45 PM
GE Profile Washing machine problem... Brigitte Home Repair 12 November 29th 05 04:11 AM
Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
Washing machine problem Dinah Home Repair 7 August 13th 05 04:02 AM