Posted to uk.d-i-y
pcyljmb

Default Washing machine has filled up with water whilst turned off!

Hi,

I was wondering whether any one could shed any light on a most
peculiar problem we seem to have encountered with our Electra AWM900
Washing Machine. Unlike Adrian our motor and other related functions
still seem to be operating OK : however we returned from a few days
away late last night to find that the newly laid carpets were soaked
through.

The washing machine drum was half full of water (having been
completely empty and turned off before we went away), but because the
washing machine door was ajar to prevent it smelling, water had come
out and saturated the nearby carpets.

The peculiar thing is that as well as the machine being turned off,
the water was not flowing. It seemed to have filled itself up, and
then stopped for some reason. If it were a burst pipe or a fault
within the machine, I would have expected to have seen the water
still flowing out when we got back but this was not the case.

This morning I have run a rinse / spin cycle to empty all the water
sitting in the drum : this appears to have worked fine, with the
machine now apparently back to normal. However I am keen to get to
the root cause of what caused this before we get our new carpets to
replace the other new carpets!

Many thanks in advance,
James.

Tunbridge Wells.
--
I like http://www.torfaen-fighttheplan.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
powerstation

"pcyljmb" wrote in message
[...]

faulty inlet valve dripping, isolate the water supply to machine when you go
away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 02:26:29 -0800, meow2222 wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
lid (pcyljmb) writes:
Hi,

I was wondering whether any one could shed any light on a most
peculiar problem we seem to have encountered with our Electra AWM900
Washing Machine. Unlike Adrian our motor and other related functions
still seem to be operating OK : however we returned from a few days
away late last night to find that the newly laid carpets were soaked
through.

The washing machine drum was half full of water (having been
completely empty and turned off before we went away), but because the
washing machine door was ajar to prevent it smelling, water had come
out and saturated the nearby carpets.

Either one of the inlet valves has failed to close completely
(maybe a piece of sand stuck in it), or it is syphoning waste
water back in from the drain.

the latter would smell bad, so its easy to tell. Replace the water
inlet valves. (A valve cleanout may be all thats needed, but may be
isnt good enough.)

W/m inlet valve don't fail very often but when they do this would be the
effect.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

pcyljmb wrote:

I like http://www.torfaen-fighttheplan.org.uk

Why? They don't even credit the fact postings shown come from usenet?

--
Adrian C