Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Jigsaw recommendation

I'm going to be removing some windows in an outdoor addition to my
house. This addition was installed by the previous owner and
unfortunately he used particle board for the walls. These walls have
molded very badly despite all my efforts otherwise. They are beyond
repair (not that I'd repair them anyway).

There are 5 relatively new windows in excellent condition I want to
remove from these walls before I tear the extension down. The walls are
vinyl-sded on the outside and painted on the inside. There is a small
layer of insulation in between. I need a good jigsaw to tear through
all this to remove the windows.

What kind of jigsaw would be best for this application, and how many
amps should it be rated? Would I be better off with an orbital saw?

I've seen several brands: B&D, Craftsman, Craftsman Professional,
DeWalt, Mikita, Milwaukee Skil, and others. I've heard good things
about DeWalt and Mikita but most of the 6+amp models are out of my
price range. I really don't want to spend over $120.

Any comments?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Sounds as though you need a reciprocating saw. I saw a Ryobi electric model
for $59.00 at Home Depot several months ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you need a reciprocating saw. Harbor Freight has one that
will get the job done. If you want one for the rest of your life
and your grandkids, get a Milwaukee. If you are truly knocking
down a structure or portion of, you will definitely want the recip
saw.

Here is an example:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=4095

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/articles/showarticle.asp?articleID=1630&partID=2
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Aug 2006 14:19:10 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

If it is a one time deal, rent a recip saw from the local construction
rental place. They will generally have a good durable and reliable
brand (Milwaukee, Porter Cable, etc) and renting will cost you much
less.

Although, you might find a lot of other uses for it in the demolition
of the extension for the recip. In that case buy a good one. When
you're finished, if you're out of the demolition/construction business
you can always sell a good brand.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in
t:

BOSCH

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I guess you did not read the part about *price limit of $120*.
What Bosch jigsaw sells for less than that?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

What kind of jigsaw would be best for this application, and how many
amps should it be rated? Would I be better off with an orbital saw?

I've seen several brands: B&D, Craftsman, Craftsman Professional,
DeWalt, Mikita, Milwaukee Skil, and others. I've heard good things
about DeWalt and Mikita but most of the 6+amp models are out of my
price range. I really don't want to spend over $120.

The best saw for the job is a reciprocating saw. If it is something you
will have little use for in the future, you can find them for less than your
budget. If you want the best, get a Milwaukee, but that will top $150.
Recip saws can be used for trimming tree branches also, up to 4" or so.

A jigsaw may do what you want with a long blade on it. If you go that
route, avoid the B & D, go with a DeWalt, Milwaukee, or Porter Cable. Bosch
is best, but about $160. Jigsaws have many other uses if you like to build
things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Why not rent a Sawz All from a tool place?

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Sounds like a sawzall is in order! Do what most of the contractor's around
here seem to be doing. Go buy it, use it, then return it. Saves the cost
of renting.... Horrible practice but it's allowed me to buy some "used"
equipment from Lowes at a pretty good markdown (of course I'm paying for it
in the long run with Mfg's having to mark up their prices to cover this
practice)..
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote

Sounds like a sawzall is in order! Do what most of the contractor's
around here seem to be doing. Go buy it, use it, then return it. Saves
the cost of renting.... Horrible practice but it's allowed me to buy
some "used" equipment from Lowes at a pretty good markdown (of course I'm
paying for it in the long run with Mfg's having to mark up their prices to
cover this practice)..
Cheers,
cc

If you buy a SawZall, keep it. They are handy for lots of things, and work
when nothing else will quite do the job. If you own one, it seems like you
go looking for things to do with it. As for buying, using, and returning,
that's for low lifes.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I bought a reciprocating saw (Craftsman not sawzall brand) 10-15 years ago
when they first became affordable for DIY. Wasn't sure how much I'd use it
after the first project but turns out I cut a lot of things with it I
wouldn't consider with any of my other saws. IMHO its too valuable a tool to
waste time & $ returning.
The reciprocating saw may be the best for this job but if you can use a
jigsaw and need to be able make accurate cuts on future projects it may be
the way to go.
I haven't used my spiral saw very much but so far it seems worthless on
anything thicker than 1/8".
Just my $.02. I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions. For $120 you should be
able get a usable reciprocating saw and a jigsaw for home use. I've had good
luck with B&D and Craftsman. Biggest problem I've had with buying power
tools is buying ones without enough power. My reciprocating saw is 6amp.
That's been enough. DeWalt, Mikita and Milwaukee may be better but I doubt
you'd work them hard enough to justify the extra cost.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ever heard of a hand saw? I did that exact job on one window recently. They
run at less than $10, and you can do a lot more with one than a jigsaw -
you're not talking scrollwork here......

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

My reciprocating saw is 6amp.
That's been enough. DeWalt, Mikita and Milwaukee may be better but I doubt
you'd work them hard enough to justify the extra cost.

A lot of recip saws on the market are pretty much alike. The Milwaukee
Super SawzAll, however, is a whole different animal. The mechanism has
a trick antivibration system that allows you to cut without holding the
saw tight to the work in a death grip. For serious construction people
this means you can use the tool one handed in awkward situations
safely, like high on a ladder. In ordinary use your cut is faster and
more accurate. All in all, definitely worth the $$ to be free of cheap
tool aggravations.
Hope these comments will be helpful.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
If you buy a SawZall, keep it. They are handy for lots of things, and
work when nothing else will quite do the job. If you own one, it seems
like you go looking for things to do with it. As for buying, using, and
returning, that's for low lifes.

Steve

Couldn't agree more, on both counts. I own a Milwaukee Sawzall and wonder
how I ever got on without it before.

As for returning tools, I agree as well. Cheap *******s. I spend my hard
earned cash wisely and if a tool doesn't perform as advertised, I'll return
it but to date I've returned a total of zero tools. I had to stand in line
to return a few copper fittings left over from a project (unused I might
add!) and had to wait while the guy in front of me tried to explain what was
wrong with his brand new Makita Hammer Drill. The manager tested it out
and all seemed fine. They still gave him his money back. If I hadn't
bought a Milwaukee hammer drill a few months back I'd of made an offer on
it.
Cheers,
cc

entry-level jigsaw bob UK diy 17 May 16th 06 10:36 AM
sawing curved edges with jigsaw WillR Woodworking 1 March 30th 05 02:25 AM
Bosch 1590 jigsaw David Hall Woodworking 21 December 24th 04 05:20 PM
Why can't I cut worktop with jigsaw? rrh UK diy 25 June 13th 04 10:02 AM